PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to make a barrell fall and roll realisticly...

Kanephan
03-20-2005, 09:47 AM
I've never done anything with physics before. I'm a big noob with Layout. I usually just model (its a hobby). But I've made a nice barrel, and I've figured out how to make it affected by gravity in Layout.

My goal is to have the barrel fall on an edge, then tip over and roll away. I've got the barrel, with a Gravity motion modifier applied. And I've got a null collision object which doesn't seem to alter anything whether I set it on scatter or bounce or stick or whatever.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Another problem is that the pivot point of the barrel is what collides, not the barrel itself. So if I have the point at the center of the bottom of the barrel, it bounces fine, but if I rotate it so the barrel is on its side, half of it goes through the "floor".

:/ Help? :confused:

Kanephan
03-20-2005, 09:48 AM
By the way, I'm working with Lightwave 7

kmacphail
03-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi Kanephan,

It sounds like you're using particle dynamics with a barrel model attached. If I'm not mistaken LW7 doesn't have native dynamics for objects and can't check for collisions between polygons.

There have been some great tricks done using Motion Designer with extremely stiff settings, that's always an option.

The only other ways I know to get the effect you want is to go with an existing third party solution like Impact or ReelMotion (neither of which I've used), wait for the Lightwave ODE project to mature a bit, or upgrade to LW[8].

Any other ideas out there?

Kevin

harlan
03-20-2005, 09:01 PM
There's also the 'gravity' plugin in the motion options panel. You could apply it to get a realisticish fall and bounce, bake the motion, tweak and then keyframe the remainder (rotation, etc...)

You could hand key the whole thing as well.

Safe Harbor
03-21-2005, 08:02 AM
Check out IMPACT! by Dynamic Realities. It's one of the best physics simulation plug-ins for LW out there.

http://www.sharbor.com/products/DYNN0280001.html

WizCraker
03-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Check out IMPACT! by Dynamic Realities. It's one of the best physics simulation plug-ins for LW out there.

http://www.sharbor.com/products/DYNN0280001.html

It may be but for someone who just starting out in Dynamics it is a hard to pay $300+ for a Plugin.

I would suggest first before advertising the plugin is if you are interested in it go over to Dynamic Realities website and try the demo of Impact first. It is not the easiest plugin to use as it has more paremeters than you can shake a stick at.