PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Options Suggestions

Cman
03-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Two suggestions -

1) Organize all the global rendering options into one panel. for example, move the entire Image Processing tab onto the Render Panel. That way, the global rendering option are in one pace. Also, get rid of the Buffer View/Render plugins as plugins and integrate into a Tab on the Render Panel. That way, all buffers are available at render time without having to go to a different tab. The idea being you can quickly change this - with each Buffer having an option to save to a different location.

2) Perhaps LW already does this, or it's impossible, but we've all done a render with just a base texture that renders super fast. Why can't LW do this for every render?
Have LW internally organize it's render so it drops every texture to some base texture and render just for AA. That way you get a super fast AA render.
Then it puts the textures back in and then render for textures.
Presumably you could then set an AA level for edges and another AA level for textures.
LW would need to then separately render for raytracing, thus if something as tagged as transparent it would internally hide those polygons so it can do teh AA and Texture renders, then do teh transparent polys, then do the raycast for raytracing.

I'm curious, particularly about #2, if anyone knows if LW already does this or if it's impossible, or if it's just stupid. (ed.)

operation
03-24-2005, 07:25 PM
your point 2 is impossible ...

you have to consider 2D AA and 3D AA .... it's like 2D motion blur and 3D motion blur. It's not the same way to render...

it's more fast to filter a texture than the raycast of an object with the z-buffer algorithm.

AA of Lw is very slow , that comes from the render-engine.

toma
03-25-2005, 04:11 AM
2) Presumably you could then set an AA level for edges and another AA level for textures.

that would be great, but I guess it would involve a complete rewrite of the render engine's core…

I wouldn't say it's impossible since PRman do that : it have two AA settings, a shading rate for texture & shading and a geometry rate for … the geometry.

this way you can have very thin polygons perfectly anti aliased, or insanely huge polycount (because the geometry aa doesn't need raytracing or textures) and a simple AA for the shading.

The way I understand it, it is just like doing a quickshade render with 33 pass to analyse the geometry, and then a loose 2 or 3 pass to shade those pre antialiased polygons…

well, maybe LW 10 :)

thomas

Cman
03-25-2005, 06:37 AM
The way I understand it, it is just like doing a quickshade render with 33 pass to analyse the geometry, and then a loose 2 or 3 pass to shade those pre antialiased polygons…

well, maybe LW 10 :)

thomas

That was exactly my thought. A simple quickshade render to whatever AA settings you want, then essentially re-render that scene, but now based upon textures with it's own AA settings, or as operation suggests, use a filter.