PDA

View Full Version : saving in layout

abysmalgail
03-19-2005, 05:09 PM
i made an ocean scene in layout and i spent alot of time tweaking several displacement maps and other settings, but when i save the scene and then load it again everything is gone, it just loads the object as saved it in modeler but the surface settings and other things are gone!!
i have had this more than once so it's not my mistake, i think!
so what do i need to do when i want to keep these settings the next time i load my scene , other then hitting the save scene button,?

some help would be much appreciated :)

zantoch
03-19-2005, 07:00 PM
I'm new to lightwave, but I've noticed that you have to save the objects that you modify in layout. There is also a menu option "Save All Objects"

lardbros
03-20-2005, 05:40 AM
Hi,

after modifying materials/shaders/surfaces in Layout you have to save the object either by flipping back to modeller and saving (are a couple of probs occasionally the settings revert still which is well annoying) or by doing what Zantoch says.

If you don't want to save all the objects, just select the object you have been tweaking and choose Save current object and either overwrite your original file or save it as a new one.

Not too sure why your displacement settings aren't saving with the scene though, they should be saved.

abysmalgail
03-20-2005, 06:14 AM
thanks for the help zantoch lardbros!

my ocean is realy beginning to look like an ocean now!
but i still don't now why the displacement maps weren't saved, the next i saved they didn't misteriously dissapear so that's good news to! :)
many thanks!

JamesCurtis
03-20-2005, 07:29 AM
Saving the scene does exactly that - it saves the items in the scene like position, motion, size of objects, lighting, scene environment, anything that has to do with the overall scene.

Saving the object deals specifically with the object's settings properties - textures, mapping, displacement, shaders, and all settings specific to the selected object.

Hope this clarifies things a little.

Dodgy
03-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Correction: Displacements are saved with the scene NOT in the object, though you can use a bump map as a displacement, and the bump map is saved in the object (along with the rest of the surface) but the fact that it's used as a displacement is stored in the scene :) Fun huh?

JamesCurtis
03-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Dodgy,

Sorry about my slip up there on displacements.

Accept my appology.

Dodgy
03-20-2005, 05:51 PM
LOL no need to apologise, just wanted to correct you so the guy didn't wonder where it had got to :)