PDA

View Full Version : Specular color?

EarthQuake
03-19-2005, 06:27 AM
Is there any way to do specular color, or put color in any of the other maps for that matter besides the color map? This seems like a pretty basic feature that most 3d programs have but i've never been able to figure out how to do this in lightwave. Do i need a special plugin or anything for this? Im using lightwave 8.2.

Captain Obvious
03-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Technically, specular highlights are whatever colour the light causing it. Having a setting for it doesn't make sense. It's essentially a way of faking a light source reflection. If said light source is white, the specular highlights will be white. If the source is red, the highlights will be red, and so on.

Dodgy
03-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Metals do tint the specular highlight, so you can use the advanced>color highlight setting to tint it to the base colour, or you can use the bdrf shader to change the colour to something else entirely :)

SplineGod
03-20-2005, 03:04 AM
You could use a gradient to fake a color spec highlight. Ive done it before. Heres a quick test using it: http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/sheen.avi

EarthQuake
03-20-2005, 06:03 AM
Ok BRDF works GREAT except for the fact that whenever i switch back to modeler i get an error "Cannot create data object for plugin BRDF" and then it dosent save the shader in the .lwo =( so i have to redo the specular every time but i've managed to get some cool results using 3 layers.

SplineGod: Could you go over the process a little for me? Where do i put the gradient is it in the specular channel or what... Would be great if you could take some screenshots of your material or something of that nature.

Dodgy
03-20-2005, 09:37 AM
You add the gradient in the color channel (the only place where you can modify the colour) and use the 'Light incidence' parameter. Alternatively, there are any number of free specular plugins for use if you look on www.flay.com.

Sorry about the BDRF, looks like it's buggy :P

SplineGod
03-20-2005, 10:14 AM
You can also add 'spec blaster' lights that only affect specularity (affect diffuse is turned off) and are colored. You can also use light incidence gradients to affect the gloss and spec channels based on particular lights and blending modes.

Mdust
03-20-2005, 01:15 PM
(By Earthquake) whenever i switch back to modeler i get an error "Cannot create data object for plugin BRDF" and then it dosent save the shader in the .lwo

Just let me clarify. Do you mean that you switch back to Modeler from Layout expecting the hub to carry the data?

If so, then I believe you have to save from Layout to keep such changes to surface settings. Some transfer others don't.

When you say "switch back" do you mean that or are you doing the above?

Mdust

EarthQuake
03-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Mdust: Exactly, usually when i add a shader it shows up in modeler and the settings are saved in my .lwo.

lardbros
03-23-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm certain the BRDF shader used to be fine before version 8.2, (don't hold me to that) because it certainly was fine before 8. I've had this error a few times, and i'm sure most other shaders save over in modeler fine enough.

Tom Wood
03-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Dunno if this applies to what you are doing, but there is a 'Color Highlights' setting in the Advanced tab of the Surface Editor. I turn them up to about 50% on red lips for example to get red highlights on the lips.

TW