PDA

View Full Version : Steamy little logo

Carm3D
03-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi..

I did the steam animation with Smoke & Fire Generator

Click me (http://www.carm3d.net/Media/ChiTownFlavor.htm)

ned
03-19-2005, 06:06 AM
That's excellent. I like the lazy way the smoke rises.

I've never been able to get that lazy effect with LW. My smoke looks too compact and constrained.

Can you give some details about how you did this.

Carm3D
03-19-2005, 06:31 AM
I did not use Lightwave's particle system. I used this (http://www.polas.net/smoke/index.php).

adrian
03-21-2005, 12:51 AM
That plugin looks very good indeed, but does it interfere with LWs native particle system if you install it? I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the third party particle plug-ins made LWs unusable...

Adrian.

Capt Lightwave
03-21-2005, 01:10 AM
No Fire and Smoke does not interfere with LightWaves native particle system.

The one that did was the "old" PFX system by D-Storm which today IS the LightWave particle and soft/hard body dynamics system...

adrian
03-21-2005, 02:36 AM
Would you say Fire & Smoke is better than LWs particle system, or at least worth investing in it to have it alongside?

Adrian.

ned
03-21-2005, 04:37 AM
Well I'll jump in here and put my 2-cents in. As far as getting a lazy cigarette or cigar smoke effect, LightWave's particles/HVs are worthless. I spent the better part of this weekend trying to get a particle emitter with HVs to make a slowly curling smoke rising like in the original post that started this thread.

If anyone knows how to accomplish this with Newtek's native stuff, I'll buy them a case of beer. I've had lots of jobs where this kind of smoke was needed and had to go to compositing to get it done. So if Smoke and Fire is a good solution I may make the plunge and buy it. I think it's 200 Euros.

Carm3D
03-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Would you say Fire & Smoke is better than LWs particle system, or at least worth investing in it to have it alongside?

Fire & Smoke does one thing very well that LW's particles cannot do. It does not replace LW's particle system, it's an alternate choice when you want particles to be perturbed by heat. It's sole purpose is for creating fire (and smoke). LW's native particle system is still useful for other things.

Tiger
03-21-2005, 10:00 AM
As far as getting a lazy cigarette or cigar smoke effect, LightWave's particles/HVs are worthless.

"It is a poor craftsman that blames his tools."
(From Lightwave 7 manual).

I have one dvd called "Explosive Effects with Hyper Voxels". There you learn
how to master the techniques to create stunning pyrotechnic effects.

www.desktopimages.com

etobiason
03-21-2005, 12:45 PM
If I were a professional photographer and someone wanted me to shoot for a billboard ad with a disposable camera, I'd complain. Wouldn't make me a poor craftsman, just astute. Knowing the limitations of your tools is part of the job. I wouldn't want to animate water pouring into a glass without realflow, and I wouldn't want to shoot for a fashion magazine without a good camera... not to say you can't do artistic things with limited tools, but specific objectives often require specific tools....

Tiger
03-21-2005, 03:21 PM
So you really think that you can`t create lazy cigarette or cigar smoke effects with Lightwave? I know that you can...if you have the Knowledge :)

etobiason
03-21-2005, 03:26 PM
I've never tried, I don't know if it is possible or not. I just disagree with the absoluteness of that quote.

Carm3D
03-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Yeah that quote was not necessary. I'm not gonna give Lightwave a free pass for mediocrity. LW's particles ARE brain-dead. Fire & Smoke was the best tool for this job.

Tiger
03-21-2005, 04:02 PM
LW's particles ARE NOT brain-dead. You can create fantastic things...if you have the KNOWLEGDE. You think " I can not...therefore nobody can". Now...that is called Illusion.

Carm3D
03-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Okay smarty-pants.. Let's see you recreate the steam effect I made with LW's particles.

liquidpope
03-21-2005, 11:36 PM
Sounds like a personal challenge.
I got 5 bucks says the kid can't do it.
I think I'd have made that animation using a combination of morphs and procedural displacement, but that's just me.
I got another 5 bucks says I prolly won't try though. I'd hate to have to start smoking just to have good reference material.
Either way, your animation is really nice, Carm.

adrian
03-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Hey Tiger,

I was seriously looking into buying that desktop Images DVD but never got round to it. So what kind of things do you learn to make? Is it worth the $70 or whatever it costs?

Also, do you have the particle concepts one as well? If you give the HV one the thumbs up I will probably buy both....

Adrian.

Tiger
03-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Yes Adrian...I think it`s was well worth the money. I have 3 dvd`s:

1. Explosive Effects with H.V.

ROCKET EXHAUST: Exhaust Effect, Effects emmiter, Glowing light, HV setup,
shading, colors, opacity, Thickness/Smoothness etc..etc.

METEOR SHOWER: Collision item, radius, using gravity, parenting emmiters,
nozzle, falloff/World coordinates etc..etc.

EXPLOSION: Debris, debris trails, particle rendering error, particle weight,
debrise chunks, eroding holes, diffuse channel, turbulence, Self illumination,
Ball of fire, enhancing rendering speeds, adjusting smoke speed etc...etc.

2. UNDERSTANDING H.V. Definition, setup, attributes(blending modes, negative
blending mode, effector blending mode, hyper textures tab etc...etc.)

VOLUMES...volume shading tab, opacity, density, bake object, adv.shading tab,
near clip distance, volumetric shadows, volume hyper texture tab etc...etc.

TEXURE EFFECTS...Turbulance, billowing, displace, dissolve, velocity translate,
Dissolve/expand.

SPRITE...basic shading, clips tab, loading images, apply image, selecting multiple
clips, frame offset.

LIQUID...automatic sizing, size variation, reduce particle quantity, basic surface
settings, reset particle generator, Final Mercury Animation.

EXPLOSIONS...sprite geometry. sprite color texture, dissolve effect, max particle
size, animate particle size, expanding size control, color texture gradient
etc...etc.

3. PARTICLE FX CONCEPTS...options & setup, gravity etc...etc.

WIND...properties, mode, explosion, rotation, particle color, other wind modes,
generate by Wind Speed.

COLLISIONS...effector, properties, object collision, radius level, collisions modes,
event collisions.

FLOCKING...path wind, secondary emitter, motion controls, wind rotation.

FX GROUPS...group mode, planar collision object, collision order.

FALLING SNOW...particle start frame, falling speed, light wind effect, HV snow,
Viper preview, final snow animation.

FIREWORKS...particle motion, second particle emitter, schematic view, child
emitter settings, parent emitter settings.

FALLING LEAVES...leaf object, FX-linker, rotation wind, multiple wind effectors.

VOXEL FIRE...zero particle resistance, H.V. settings, adjust camera view,
H.V. presets, particle size, Final fire animation.

Those dvd`s will for sure expand your knowledge about Lightwave and one
will discover how powerfull Lightwave acctually is!

adrian
03-22-2005, 11:19 AM
... and as I notice you're in Sweden then they must ship to the UK as well!

Adrian.

Tiger
03-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Sure...I used my VISA and they came after 1 week! You can also do a shearch at
Amazon/uk ...I think they have them there.

mgreenway
03-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Good Morning Carm.
I think the 'Steam' looks lazy and relaxing.
Made me get up and make a cup.
Have a good one
Mike

Carm3D
03-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Interesting.. I don't drink coffee, so the logo did not have that kind of effect on me. How Pavlovian.

mgreenway
03-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Woof (drool)
:)

mattclary
03-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Speaking of steaming coffee, check out this Bud Light commercial. Pretty funny.

http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=21038

Schwing
03-24-2005, 02:56 PM
I needed one of those today.

Oh, I meant the babe in bed. :p

somnambulance
03-24-2005, 06:40 PM
"It is a poor craftsman that blames his tools."
(From Lightwave 7 manual).
www.desktopimages.com

Well, lets see it hot shot. I have tried for hours and it didnt look as good as that. Pawel Olis has some great time saving plugins. Even if you have the "knowledge", you would probably prefer the plugin. I have his tree plugin and its great. HI YA

adrian
03-25-2005, 02:23 AM
Not meaning to fan the flames or anything, but it makes sense to do the job in the "easiest" way possible (especially where time contrainsts apply) rather than trying no-matter-what to make LW do it....

I do remember creating some steam using LW's HVs/Particles a couple of years ago which looked good enough - for what I needed anyway (a small animated GIF of steam rising out of a cup of coffee).

Adrian.