PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics question

c0deb0y
03-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi all,
I have a bee that flies down into a flower that uses endomorphs to open its petals just before the bee gets there. I am trying to make the bee seem to push the petals around as he is grubbing around in the flower. However, when I apply dynamics to the flower petals, the endomorphs no longer work properly.
Is there a problem with using cloth or dynamics with endomorphed objects?

Does anyone have a better suggestion on how to do this?

The other question I have is that when I try to add FX Wind to something and then hit calculate, I get an error saying "PFX for LW8 no dynamics..."
Any clue why this is showing up?

stats: LW 8.2

thanks!

Ztreem
03-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Using both dynamics and morph's it's a little bit of a problem. You can only morph fixed points with clothFX. That means that the points you can morph will only be affected by morph or clothFX not both.
I don't know if I making any sense here.

toby
03-18-2005, 01:05 PM
It might work if you use a morph target instead of endomorphs.
Or you could just dissolve from the morphing-open flower to an already open, clothFX flower.

Mdust
03-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Like the object desolve idea above, you could also employ a cut.

Good old, old school editing.

Just food for thought.

Mdust

byte_fx
03-19-2005, 03:27 AM
Try going back to modeler and creating two, three or four more endos that mimic the movement of the petals in this type of scene.

Then in layouut you can mix and match their respective envelopes to get a good representation of the needed petal motion.

I've used this technigue several times and it works a treat. If you don't hit the right endos in modeler the first time just remember what needs to be tweaked and go back to modeler and re-edit that/those particular endos. But it's really a snap once you've get the hang of what's needed.

byte_fx

SplineGod
03-20-2005, 02:58 AM
If you want to use dynamics and endomorphs I would use standin petals with the real petals metanlinked to them. The real petals can have endormophs and you would also apply metalinkmorph after the metalink plugin.
Its also possible to create a single endomorph of the petals open and use a gradient to activate the morph using the bee as the reference object. Its how I did this:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/tentacles.mov
You could also use bones with or without dynamics on them. :)

Dodgy
03-20-2005, 07:05 PM
You can use morphs with cloth, I've just done it.

You should make sure your cloth is after your morphs, and that you have a high Hold Structure value if you want to keep the shape of your petals though...

Ztreem
03-21-2005, 02:18 AM
You can use morphs with cloth, I've just done it.

You should make sure your cloth is after your morphs, and that you have a high Hold Structure value if you want to keep the shape of your petals though...

If you use a high hold structure value then you almoust get the same result as softFX. If you are a beginner with dynamics it's maybe easier to use SoftFX instead of ClothFX.

Celshader
03-21-2005, 02:57 AM
PFX for LW8 no dynamics..."
Any clue why this is showing up?

I get that whenever I bake out dynamics (save out an MDD file, for example) and then try to calculate dynamics. FX_Browser ignores any object whose dynamics have already been baked, and focuses all CPU power on objects with unbaked dynamics. If all dynamic objects in the scene have had their dynamics baked, the FX_Browser will have nothing to calculate.

Dodgy
03-21-2005, 03:59 AM
If you use a high hold structure value then you almoust get the same result as softFX.

The key phrase there is 'Almost', I think the collsion is better with clothFX, Soft tends to wobble through collision objects, plus you can balance the effect with other types of motion with cloth. SoftFX is great for certain types of motion, but clothFX is more controllable.

Celshader
03-21-2005, 04:03 AM
Does anyone have a better suggestion on how to do this?

I should try this before suggesting it, but I'm wondering if ClothFX's "Start by Event" might help you out. That way (I think), nothing deviates from the endomorphs until an event-type collision object throws it into ClothFX's world.

Ztreem
03-21-2005, 04:19 AM
The key phrase there is 'Almost', I think the collsion is better with clothFX, Soft tends to wobble through collision objects, plus you can balance the effect with other types of motion with cloth. SoftFX is great for certain types of motion, but clothFX is more controllable.

I totally agree! It was just a suggestion if clothFX feels complicated.

Dodgy
03-21-2005, 04:55 AM
:) I was just explaining the difference for Codeboy :)

c0deb0y
03-21-2005, 09:51 AM
:eek: yikes! Lots of cool suggestions. Thanks to all. I'll try some of these out and see what what I can do with it.

Thanks also to celshader for replying to the error question.

I'm really new to the whole dynamics thing in LW so I appreciate everyone's patience and helpful suggestions.

WizCraker
03-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Have you tried Inertia? It is one of the most overlooked features in Lightwave yet if used correctly is very powerful.