PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave question

Vincenzo
03-17-2005, 08:29 PM
When one presses the F9 button to get render, does LW use OpenGL to perform this render. It would seem that OpenGL would not be of any use doing the raytracing. So I am thinking that only the CPU and memory, not the graphics card, are important when doing final render. Is this true or does having a powerful graphics card help speed up rendering frames?

Thanks Vincenzo

prospector
03-17-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm pretty sure (99.5%) the CPU is in charge during rendering. But a fast graFX card sure helps during other stuff.

Captain Obvious
03-18-2005, 08:40 AM
F9 uses Lightwave's standard raytracer, all done on the CPU. You can add a dozen of the beefiest video cards you can find, and it won't be a single second faster. Also, s far as I've heard, Lightwave is less dependant on the video card in real-time mode (ie Modeller and Layout, not rendering) than most 3D applications, so you're probably better off spending that extra money on more RAM or a faster processor instead of a better video card.

BBS-TV 21
03-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Always rely on the ram size of your computer with the video toaster system. I began with 512 mg in my vt3 and had numerous "small" freezes. After upgrading to 2 gig, all my problems went away. Not only in LW, but the toaster ran incredibly smoother!