PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Robot

miso popovic
03-17-2005, 06:46 AM
hi! Posted this image on CGNetworks, but critics and comments are allways-the more the merrier! so i thought to post it here also. hope you like it!

Rich
03-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Love your robots. Are you going to do an animation with them? :D

Kuzey
03-20-2005, 03:39 AM
Very cool...but if you do an animation don't do a version of the dancing baby :p

Kuzey

Captain Obvious
03-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Looks like Pintsize from Questionable Content (http://www.questionablecontent.net/index.php)!

dxyner
03-20-2005, 10:18 PM
The models are ace but I just don't think it says "Marvin"...not your fault I know but still. I'm rather warry of thie movie.

miso popovic
03-21-2005, 10:07 AM
tnx for comments!
I don't think i'm gonna animate them, coz...well, i suck at animating!:))
dxyner- Yea, i doesent really say "Marvin", didn't so much think about that when i was setting the scene, good point. But, what the hey! :))

dxyner
03-21-2005, 10:11 AM
That wasn't a crit of your work, it was about whomever designed this little guy to be Marvin in the firstplace. The scene you set up works. As a fan of the Hitchhiker "trilogy" though I just don't see this particular character as Marvin is all. :)

etobiason
03-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Those guys are great! I think they have a ton of character. I love 'em. My only critique is so nitpicky... I suggest adding a groove on the upper arm, for rotating the elbow around. The grooves on the head look so cool I think this groove would add assumed functionality (even though you don't plan on animating it) and more cool detail.

Rory_L
03-23-2005, 02:57 AM
If you`re going for a faithful reproduction of the movie `Marvin` you`ll need to change the eyes to glowing green triangles...but why bother: we`re all going to be extinct in a month, so it doesn`t make any difference really...

Your post prompted me to go and see ther trailer for the HGG film, which I`d been studiously avoiding in loving memory of the original radio show and daft TV series. My reaction is that it may not be as appaling as I`d feared: Douglas Adams won`t be turning in his grave, just shifting a bit to get a better view.

...That movie droid is NOT Marvin though.

Cheers,

R

Marvin Miller
03-23-2005, 10:57 AM
hi! Posted this image on CGNetworks, but critics and comments are allways-the more the merrier! so i thought to post it here also. hope you like it!

When I first saw the title to this thread I thought it was about a tutorial I had written about robots. :p

Good job, by the way! :D

miso popovic
03-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Yea, it's allways a big gamble when the make a movie of great book!

dxyner- :)

etobiason- tnx for your input!your idea seems cool, but the upper part of the arm to me is a bit short and i think it would maybe be a bit crowded up there with a nother detail :))

Marvin Miller- hahahah! cool! Tute about robots you say?Could you post the link!?

etobiason
03-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Yeah... the upper arm is a bit short... but you can fix that too, right? Anyway, I like the robot a lot. I don't remember the descriptions of Marvin from the book so much anymore, but your robot has a lot of character.

richwave
11-07-2005, 08:12 AM
How do you get the grooves around the head / eye areas ?

mattclary
11-07-2005, 10:30 AM
When I first saw the title to this thread I thought it was about a tutorial I had written about robots. :p

Good job, by the way! :D

Marvin, where can we find your tutorial????

miso popovic
11-07-2005, 12:33 PM
hi!

>How do you get the grooves around the head / eye areas ?

i hope these images can help, you should note the close-up image to the edge of the ear, the importat thing is to have a close poly division as in the picture for the subpatch to have more sharper edge. Also the mesh must be realy clean for the subpatch to look well. hope this helps. :)

richwave
11-08-2005, 04:23 AM
That's great thanks - I'm a beginner (!) - how did you model the polys to create the gaps - Smooth Shift ? I've got my ball in Subpatch mode .... I think I'll be able to tackle the main shapes of Marv but the details are trickier ...

thanks alot

Qexit
11-08-2005, 05:13 AM
Yea, it's allways a big gamble when the make a movie of great book!

<Activate nit-picking mode> They didn't 'make a movie of a great book', they made a movie of a great Radio Series. The books came later :rolleyes: It's a pretty common mistake to forget that Hitch-hiker was first presented on BBC Radio 4 as a ground breaking sci-fi comedy series back in March-April 1978, the first copy of the book did not hit the stands till 1979. Another unusual variation is that the paperbacks came first, so to own a true First Edition you need to get the paperback rather than the hardback version. I have both just to be on the safe side :-))
<de-activate nit-picking mode>