PDA

View Full Version : Portable Lightwave install

noiseboy
03-17-2005, 03:55 AM
Is it possible to install Lightwave onto a external device (such as firewire drive) so that the install becomes portable. I already have my configs in the LW directory, but they use the full path name for the config files, can they use relative paths? This would mean that I would only have to update plugins etc in one place. This is on Mac OS X btw.

BeeVee
03-17-2005, 04:02 AM
You can use the -c redirection in your CmdLine file to make LightWave put the configs where you want them.

B

noiseboy
03-17-2005, 04:05 AM
You can use the -c redirection in your CmdLine file to make LightWave put the configs where you want them.

B
I really shouldnt ask these questions before the first cup of coffee in the morning! I'm already doing that and of course all I need to do is redirect it to the external drive.

Cheers

Colin

eblu
03-17-2005, 07:26 AM
there is always a ... but.

Lightwave itself is very happy to be redirected. but the mess that has been made of the plugins, LScript, and all of the junk that Modern Lightwave relies upon (some of it now part of the main application)... well that stuff is hard coded to ignore redirection, and insists that the Lightwave directory has a certain path and a certain name, some of it saves its configs wherever it feels like, and NONE of it is even remotely consistent with "lightwave protocols".

don't know what I'm talking about? well I once took the period out of the name of the Lightwave directory, and all of a sudden LScript failed (worse than usual), none of the dynamics buttons worked, and when I went to the forums for help, I was told, by a developer on the Lightwave team, that I was crazy to rename that directory. apparently MANY UI features, HARD CODE the path to the application, changing it makes things fail. *BUZZZ* wrong answer! I am the user, I will do what I want to do with the directory. The application will work as advertised, failing that, I will get an apology if a developer feels he/she needs to comment at all, but the real answer is to hop in development mode And ruddy fix it! to date, these issues have not been fixed as far as I know. Newtek STILL uses highly illegal characters in naming its directories. (brackets? wtf? why do you insist upon making me angry? brackets do not add value to the product, they take it away.) sorry, rant mode kicked in.

watch out for files that ignore redirection of the configs. some of them show up in your content directory, some in your user's preference directory, and others well... frankly I'm sure there are others, but theres no documented locations for these things, and it may be that each and every plugin does this.