PDA

View Full Version : Evaporation techniques

Luxor_Star
03-16-2005, 03:35 AM
Hi 1 and all.

Has anybody dabbled in evaporation?

Im creating a scene were basically I have a box (symbolising Paint) shrinks as the paint fumes evaporate.

Ive been messing about with Hyper voxels but just cant seem to get that realistic flow of steam or soft smoke to show the evaporation is taking place?

Any ideas?

Thanks alot

byte_fx
03-16-2005, 06:16 AM
Sorry I can't help but interested in seeing the responses.

Haven't had much luck doing doing gaseous atmospheric effects in LW. It's fairly good at brute force smoke and fire but stuff like delicate tendrils of steam rising from a coffee cup just don't happen.

In fact a major improvement in the 'atmospherics' area is at the top of my wish list.

byte_fx

paulmcg1
03-16-2005, 06:28 AM
Hi 1 and all.

Has anybody dabbled in evaporation?

Im creating a scene were basically I have a box (symbolising Paint) shrinks as the paint fumes evaporate.

Ive been messing about with Hyper voxels but just cant seem to get that realistic flow of steam or soft smoke to show the evaporation is taking place?

Any ideas?

Thanks alot

Hi Luxor_star, I havn't created any evaporation effects with Lightwave yet. But its definetely possible as you already may know. At the moment im rendering a short where in it, I used Hyper Voxels to get dust shooting from under a rock when it smashes a peanut and to get "smoke trails" when the peanut skids on the ground.

You probably know how to set up an emitter and everything, so I'll just say its fairly simple to make what your looking for just by lower the opacity of the Hypervoxels and shading it the right color. I suggest looking at videos that have that evaporation effect and just reproduce it in Lightwave.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but hopefully that helped a bit ;)

Paul

Luxor_Star
03-16-2005, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the tips, il post an image if it works out

cheers

gjjackson
03-16-2005, 07:49 AM
Yeah, I would say sprite HV with a smart morph on the box.

SplineGod
03-17-2005, 12:26 AM
You could do it all with simple geometry. You could also do it with an object that is morphing and emitting particles or any combination of the above.
Heres a quick example of a volumetric effect that could be used to do the steam.
This is done without HVs or volumetrics of any kind, just geometry. :)

http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/clouds.mov

http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/volumetrics_test.jpg

paulmcg1
03-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Mighty Impressive Larry :rolleyes: