PDA

View Full Version : Improved Vector Motion Blur

faulknermano
03-15-2005, 08:55 PM
as some of you who have used Vector Blur (Image Processing plugin), this image filter ocassionally causes artifacting in places where the motion blur crosses with another object, either from behind or at the front. alpha channels are particularly affected by this. it seems like the "vector-blurring" causes background / foreground pixels to be mixed with each other causing sharp banding (refer to attached image for example).

i'm not sure what the solution might be. i was thinking of object-based blurring, instead of an image filter. that way, vector blur does not evaluate the whole image at once. instead it blurs the closest object first, and then the next, and then the next, and so on and so forth. to this end, may it also be possible to specify (e.g. exclude / inlclude) objects to be blurred, and their corresponding intensities. basically, be able to control the blur on a per-object basis.

if i render in layers use Vector Blur, it's okay. but there are times when rendering in layers is not an option.

(note on attached image: please disregard the coloring. the red part is a backdrop image. the banding occurs where the backdrop, the window, and the foreground object meet. note how the vector blur works best when against the backdrop.)