PDA

View Full Version : Creating a 3d constant speed path:

jeric_synergy
03-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Creating a 3d constant speed path:

I'd like to do the following:

Establish a motion path that twists through 3d space.
Set the time for the complete path.
Apply some kind of (plugin/expression/whatever) to the path that will keep the object following the path at a specific velocity.

Obviously, this would be easy in one dimension, but with 3 it's difficult. (I think).

Anyone got a technique? Thanks. E

faulknermano
03-15-2005, 10:43 PM
one "native" way to do it is this. you have to get a spline path created in modeler and import it has a motion file in lw.

the trick is getting the spline path to have equal spacing. you can do this using a plugin / lscript (try C_Freezer - refer to flay.com). you can do this without any plugin too: first create a spline that represents the motion you want. this spline should then be part of a spline patch. input the number of divisions you want for the spline patch and set it to Length (as opposed to Knots). this should give you a set of polygons whose points along your motion spline are evenly spaced. use these points to recreate another spline which should serve as the final motion spline that you export.

SplineGod
03-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Save the motion path and then use the path in modeler to do a path extrude of a point. Tell it to use uniform segments. Each knot on the spline will represent 5 frame s in layout. So make sure to create the right number of segments. After you extrude the point make sure to select them in order and hit ctrl + p to create a spline which you export as a motion file.

objuan
03-16-2005, 01:42 AM
I've taken the modeling the path approach and it works, but it always struck me as very cumbersome.

I want to interactively move things (especially the camera) in Layout to massage the path I need, and then play with the timing along that path independantly, like roving keyframes in After Effects.

Is there any plugin or work around to do that? or some fine soul who wants to write one? :o