PDA

View Full Version : In desperate need of some urgent help!

ilongley
03-15-2005, 05:19 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post so I'm not sure whether it's in the right forum or not but I'm hoping someone out there can can - well - save my bacon!

Our 3D guy in work is off and I volunteered to model a football (uk type) in Lightwave 7.0 for a client. I'm no expert but I've used it before a long time ago and found plenty of tutorials on the web for creating such a model.

The problem is, this football needs to be made of pentagons and equilateral triangles not the usual pentagons and hexagons (which all the tutorials cover) - and this is where I'm stuck.

I've done the first part but I can't "step and repeat" the pattern to complete the sphere. The client's coming to my office tomorrow at 4pm and if I haven't got it done I'm in the sh1t.

Is there anyone out there who could take a look at the attached file and give me some advice? - I'm pretty desperate.

Many thanks,

Ian

PS - I'm on a PC, Lightwave 7.0

Dodgy
03-15-2005, 06:16 PM
I don't think it's possible in the configuration you have there. It works around one pentagon, but I'm not sure it tessellates...

But this might get you started

ilongley
03-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks mate that's pretty close!

I think you're right about the tesselation - is there a more appropriate technique I could use?

Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated.

Ian

Mdust
03-15-2005, 10:15 PM
There's a tool under the, well I don't know where it is in 7.0 but there is a plugin that makes platonic solids, and one of them the icosidodec...someting or other. Anyway it makes a tesselated ball with pentagons and eqilateral triangles.

Would that help?

M

ilongley
03-16-2005, 02:15 AM
That would be perfect for what I need - i'll see if I can find it.

[edit]

I've just had a look at that tool and it's not quite suitable. I've attached a jpg of the football pattern for people to look at if they think they may be able to help.

Cheers

Ian

MrWyatt
03-16-2005, 08:50 AM
how about that one? modeled in 15 minutes.
:D

gordonrobb
03-16-2005, 09:20 AM

It sometimes takes me 15 minutes to figure out how to start a model. Superb ball. Basically speaking, how did you do it?

MrWyatt
03-16-2005, 09:56 AM
It sometimes takes me 15 minutes to figure out how to start a model. Superb ball. Basically speaking, how did you do it?

started with a tesselated ball with factor 3, deleted all but the top pentagon and one of the side pentagons, moved and rotated the side pentagon until the tangents of both pentagons matched up in a strait line. Then i made a radial array with settings of 5 for the side pentagon. then it was all about painstakingly selecting points and hitting p to create polygons. after that I duplicated everything into a second layer, rotated around the origin 180 degree in Z, and then rotated into place in Y to connect the two halfs by creating more Polys. Then I ran the spikey tool with no offset , subdivided once using faceted as the mode, selected all points and hit spherize to get rid of the jaged look. then all i did was selecting each patch and supershifting a coupe of times. Then all I did was selecting all Tris from the white patches and ran a cool plug called MergetrigonsX to get Quads again. The pentagons hovever could not be converted to quads due to the problems of having one try left. so i used fixpoles to get rid of the funny distortion in the middle of the patches. that was about it . I naturally gave the two surfaces right at the begining to be able to select better. hope this was clear.

ilongley
03-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Thank you so much! My client's is here in 20 minutes so just in time!

I discovered the name of this platonic - it's a snub dodecahedron but I had no idea how to create it.

I assume it's a combination of 2 platonics? Any chance you could explain how you created it so that I could learn for myself.

Thanks once again, you've saved my life - if you lived in the UK I'd send you a crate of beer!

Cheers, what a fantastic board.

Ian

MrWyatt
03-16-2005, 10:04 AM
simultanius post huh.
:cool:

gordonrobb
03-16-2005, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure if I'm more impressed with how you did it, or the fact that you did it in 15 minutes. I really have to get quicker with this stuff. Thanks for the explanation.

Fraust
03-16-2005, 11:53 AM
And that's why I love the LW community.... you can't get that anywhere else... talented people willing to help out each other.... I can think of several forums where this guy would have been left out in the cold or laughed at (you know the one)...

BTW, cool trick to get that modeled.... I had to reread that post of instructions a couple times before the method clicked :D

-Fraust

MrWyatt
03-16-2005, 12:15 PM
:o
Thanks gyus, too kind. I really just had nothing to do for the moment and felt challenged to model this ball, so it was fun and good practice in the end.

ilongley
03-16-2005, 12:53 PM
I totally agree Fraust I'm genuinely impressed with the help I've recieved here.

MrWyatt - just thought I'd let you know our client was really pleased with the result you're a top guy.

One day I'll hopefully be able to help someone out with lightwave the way you people have today :)

Ian

MrWyatt
03-17-2005, 07:02 AM
for those interrested here is a 24 MB video tut without sound (donīt have a decent mic) about how i created the ball. its about 20 minutes long. so if you didnīt understand the instructions or have a fast connection and donīt bother downloading 24 MB then go ahead. hope this helps you guys.

http://www.mr-wyatt.com/files/soccerball_tut.zip

simply rightclick and save as...

cheers
guillaume

KillMe
03-17-2005, 07:29 AM
there is a very easy way to make this if you do a level 3 tesselated sphere merge all teh pentogons together as pernormal for a football then rotate each pentogon around its normal by 20 degrees and applya new surface to them then use the spiky tool or if you have bevel ++ you can use it to turn the pentogons back into triangles

now this is where bevel ++ comes in really ahdn use a guide for beveling out the panels and its all done

anyway as you can see end result is the same but seems easier than having to make the polys by hand

Celshader
03-17-2005, 07:31 AM

Nice!!! :eek:

MrWyatt
03-17-2005, 07:41 AM
there is a very easy way to make this if you do a level 3 tesselated sphere merge all teh pentogons together as pernormal for a football then rotate each pentogon around its normal by 20 degrees and applya new surface to them then use the spiky tool or if you have bevel ++ you can use it to turn the pentogons back into triangles

now this is where bevel ++ comes in really ahdn use a guide for beveling out the panels and its all done

anyway as you can see end result is the same but seems easier than having to make the polys by hand

an even cooler method. now if i only had bevel++, but i think it isnīt free right. anyway this is a really nice approach , have to try that one out.

ilongley
03-17-2005, 08:09 AM
That video tutorial was excellent, with me being a newbie to all this, actually seeing the modelling in progress was just what I needed - it showed some really useful techniques.

Brilliant stuff, many thanks :cool:

Ian

KillMe
03-17-2005, 08:25 AM
nope bevel++ isn't free but its not expensive at all i think it works out about $20 or somethign like that cant quite remember though

if you like beveling things its a must have - certainly a much cheaper alternative to vertibevel - comes with anti overlap beveling on single polys and on groups you can use 2 beveling systems similar and edges and to top it all off you can create spline profiles ( they are interactive ) and save them as presets - great tool one i wouldn't be without

ilongley
03-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Can you or MrWyatt recommend any good books for beginners to lightwave and 3D modelling?

KillMe
03-17-2005, 08:38 AM
cant go wrong with the inside lightwave series by dan ablan

MrWyatt
03-17-2005, 08:41 AM
yep that is what i was going to say myself.

ilongley
03-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys, I think i've got the bug :D

Celshader
03-17-2005, 01:16 PM
A nice chaser could be LightWave 3D 8: 1001 Tips & Tricks (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556220901/). I'm one of the 40 co-authors, so of course I'd say that. ;) However, there's an easy test of this book: find a bookstore that has it in stock, and thumb through it. Most of the tips are one paragraph or less, so you'll be able to judge a lot of tips within a short time period. If you find the tips useful, consider purchasing the book.

Matt
03-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Don't you just love the LightWave community!

colkai
03-18-2005, 03:54 AM
Don't you just love the LightWave community!
You'd better believe it! :D
There are so many helpful folks here, in fact, it is one "ex-hirsuit" guy that Jen knows very well that gave me some very valuable help when I was struggling, for that, I shall always be grateful to him, plus, he' a cool dude.
Same goes for Dan Ablan - darned stand up kinda guy. It's one of the wonders of the LW community that so many professionals are so willing to share their knowledge and insight into all things wavey.

One reason my bookshelves are groaning under the weight of their literary offerings, it's how I can say "thanks" for their help. (Apart from them being darned useful books too of course .. So Jen & Dave - exactly when is that new book coming out? :p )