PDA

View Full Version : Any fx tips?

turbo
03-15-2005, 11:30 AM
If anyone has any fx tips and tricks for games please share! :D
I'm specifically looking for stuff that takes up minimum ram/cpusage as there would be multiple instances on the screen at once.

Links to tutorials much appreciated! :)

Emmanuel
03-16-2005, 05:56 AM
Need more input.Not enough data for response.

turbo
03-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Spell casting, weapon and armour enhancements, player attributes, portals, etc.

We've tracked down how to do some stuff.. using cycling animations, both with shapes/surfaces and animated images/.pngs using IFL files, but we're just entering this area and could use any positive creative input and links to tuts out there.

I've viewed the newtek videos and the one on creating electricity effect is helpful.

Lamont
03-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Take a look at Vagrant Story for the PSX or any Final Fantasy. They are alpha-blended shapes (Cones, multiple cones, tubes, disks) that just grow in size and rotate. Sprite based effects should be easy using LW's particle system and render out a image sequence.

Another game to take a look at is Mercinaries for the X-Box/PS2.

turbo
03-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Awesome, ty, Lamont. I figured you have an answer. :)
I have tons of game experience tho.. and a keen eye and investigative nature. ;)

Lamont
03-18-2005, 01:53 PM
How's it going?

turbo
03-18-2005, 02:03 PM
We're experimenting with some sequences of fire .pngs but have run into a mac bug re: DTS material attributes and the DTS exporter. We are using IFL files to animate the images and the bug makes testing one of the animations difficult. We have some sequences working satifactorily tho.

Rather than fight with the bug and or alternate between PCs while waiting for the bug to be fixed I'm back to working on another monster model for now. Thanks for asking. :)