PDA

View Full Version : Severe render errors

Thomas M.
03-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Why? What have I done wrong? Everything is trippled. The object is morphed into a remodeled version on another layer (obviously the morph works...mmmh...or not). All surfaces are smoothed, no special shaders, doubled sided.

I don't have a clue. There's also some minor bone deformation going on.

Anybody a guess?

Cheers
Thomas

BeeVee
03-15-2005, 04:09 AM
Well the image isn't very clear on what's going on, but my first impression is that that is a shadow map that isn't very high resolution?

B

Thomas M.
03-15-2005, 04:47 AM
It's raytracing! But after changing all surfaces to "Default smooth" it looked fine. So after clicking a few buttons it has been obvious that "double sided" is the one to blame. I really don't know what it has got to to with it, but maybe it's related to the bump array I'm using in the bump channel. Is it possible that the surface normal flips? I get this normal error all the time creating a rough sea with loads of bump maps.

Any ideas, BeeVee?

Cheers
Thomas

Lightwolf
03-15-2005, 05:59 AM
Hi Thomas,
are these SDS you're rendering, or normal polygons?

Cheers,
Mike
P.S: I've seen that too, but it is hard to pin down. Doublesided has to do with it though...

Thomas M.
03-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Everything is just made out of simple trippled polygons. But I did have other funny patterns before with the SubPatch version.

Marcia
03-15-2005, 09:56 AM
You don't have any faces that are flipped the wrong way, by any chance? When I have rendering problems with double-sided polys, that's usually what's to blame (followed by corrupt files).

Thomas M.
03-15-2005, 12:47 PM
I checked so often that all the normals are showing in the same direction and am sure that it isn't connected with this issue. But I'll check it again.

Thanks
Thomas

toby
03-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Check for overlapping polygons? Merge points/unify polys?

Matt
03-15-2005, 01:20 PM
I've had this error before, wasn't using spotlights - so it couldn't have been shadow mapping errors. The surface was a sub-d object so it could have been something to do with that. Never went back to try and solve it, and I've not had it since - very odd!

Thomas M.
03-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Just checked the model again. Clean. No overlapping polys. No additional points you could merge.

Strange.

Wade
03-15-2005, 01:47 PM
I have had such a problem with making cloth with some transparency to it.

Marcia
03-15-2005, 06:29 PM
I've had cases where either the model file or layout file went corrupt, and there was no way to fix the problem within the original files. Have you tried testing by copying/pasting your model into a new file and importing it into a new layout? That might help rule some things out, at least.

Thomas M.
03-15-2005, 10:30 PM
Well, copy and paste might be a good idea. I'll give it a try. Unchecking the double-sided option helped at least a great deal. Although there are still some minor errors which I need to retouch by hand) I'm not sure I'll got the time to render everything again.

But thanks so far for your input.

Cheers
Thomas