PDA

View Full Version : Living Room

otacon
03-14-2005, 07:45 PM
This is a room i did over the weekend. I used a few of the speed models i did a while back, the couch and lamp, they were sitting around so i thought i should use them for something. This was rendered with lightwave interpolated radiosity...render times were a little out of control....mainly because some of my models were way too detailed. Comments appreciated! :D

wacom
03-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Otacon-
Great work as always! I do find the drapes a little strange in that the windows are so bright, and yet there is no light bleeding through them. They could be very dense fabric...but they don't really look that way.

Still it's another example of your great work.

cgbloke2004
03-14-2005, 10:01 PM
fantastic! lovely mood in there..
any post processing?

Hervť
03-14-2005, 11:22 PM
that is so good.... lucky boy Otacon.... at least you don't need MaxwellRender.... that's a saving... :D

One thought... you should try a moody night scene....

Take care

colkai
03-15-2005, 04:01 AM
Aww heck Otacon,
Will ya just quit it already? :p ;)

Lovely work as usual, care to share the render time that beauty took? (on what CPU natch), I would of thought it would take while to get such a nice look.

Captain Obvious
03-15-2005, 04:36 AM
Very nice render!

Lude
03-15-2005, 05:16 AM
hi otacon, tell me this, Iíve been trying to use interpolated copying most setting u use (i think) but Iím trying to create out door shots.

I had what I though was a nice fast rendering scene at 800 x 600 but when I set it to the full res I wanted (about 2500 by 2000) I came back the next day to find it hadn't even got past pass 1 :(

Is interpolated limited to producing screen res images, and if so how can u use it? Do your clients not want printed work?

Oh yeah great image by the way, forgot what brought me in here lol

nthused
03-15-2005, 06:13 AM
Beautiful image, Jason.

Couple of things:
Put some red wine in those glasses - that much work and you're going to be thirsty. (and waiting for the render is virtually painless with a good Shiraz or Pinot Noir!)

Also, (IMHO) the wood(?) flooring doesn't seem to match the "quality" in materials as the rest of the room - the image is OK - just style-wise it seems out of place.

BTW, what are your interpolation settings? Never could get those set to render at a decent speed AND to look good. (Usually I just go with FPrime Monte Carlo 3 bounces and go to bed)

Nice work.

Matt
03-15-2005, 07:12 AM
Aww heck Otacon,
Will ya just quit it already? :p ;)

LOL, I was thinking the same!

:)

I don't know what else to say, awesome as usual!

otacon
03-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys!
wacom: I did have the curtains white, but when i changed them to blue i forgot to turn up the translucency.

cgbloke2004: I did a little bit of post in psp.

Herve: I was thinking the same thing about a night scene. ;)

colkai: Render times were a lot longer than i usually go for. This took about 10 hours! Athlon 64 3000 2.01GHz. But there are a lot of things i could have done to lower that time. That lamp has more polys than the rest of the scene combined...because i did the lamp for a speed modeling challenge i put in a lot of detail, but i should have tweaked it for this scene.

Lude: If your doing an outdoor scene, i would use backdrop radiosity. I think interpolated only works good for indoors, and even then you might get problems. Even after this render was done i had to paint out some light splotches in the corner. This is a personal project, so i dont worry too much about render times, or rendering at high res. Now for work stuff, since were usually doing animations anyway, i very rarely use radiosity(never for animations). I have to fake it.

nthused: Yea, i was trying out some wine but i couldnt get it to look right....i should have done another pass and just comped it in. I will have to put some in for the night shot. Ive gotten some other comments about the flooring, would you suggest a different color or what? When i get home tonight i'll post a screen of the light setup and the settings.

RonB
03-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Beautiful work...just gorgeous. I like the pictures and their lights...nice touch. The couch and chair look very good ...inviting really. Aww, it all looks good!

Cheers!
Ron

gaushell
03-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Excellent. Only comments are on the wood floors:

1. a bit flat, unless really worn out, it should have some reflection
2. the joints look a tad wide or prominent - in a house this nice the gap is almost non existant.

Oh heck, one more minor comment - from an interior design standpoint - the pictures look really nice, but crowded. Probably one too many per row.

Jure
03-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Great lighting once again!
Nice work on the materials also except for that floor - it looks just plain flat. You need some bump there or model acctual geometry.
Did it take 10hrs rendering for this resolution or is original bigger? What AA settings did you use? That fine fabric looks realy nice on the front sofa. The DOF on the right sofa seems a bit weird though.

P.S. May I suggest more moderen interior for a change on your next project? :)

Titus
03-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Nice render!

I think the objects in front of the windows need some backlighing to show the energy of the lighing comnig from outside, just my impression.

Ade
03-16-2005, 12:44 AM
I notice the DOF in the carpet...excellent.
Curious Otacon have you ever used Vray? OR Kray?