PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 3D 8 Discovery Edition???

HDMH
03-14-2005, 06:36 PM
I just bought LW8 - education version, or discovey edition. Why when I bought the software noone said that I can't save artwork?

what is the point???

WCameron
03-14-2005, 07:03 PM
I just bought LW8 - education version, or discovey edition. Why when I bought the software noone said that I can't save artwork?

what is the point???

either you got ripped off and got the software without a dongle, or you havent registered it for your License Key.

the only restriction on the Educational version is that you cant use it to make
money. only to learn.
otherwise its fully functional.

- Will.

Celshader
03-14-2005, 07:14 PM
If you have a genuine Educational license, call NewTek for help. As WCameron said, it's a fully functional copy of LightWave that comes with its own hardware key. Make sure you have the hardware key's software installed (the "Rainbow" drivers) along with LightWave itself. If LightWave does not detect the hardware key, it will run in "Discovery Edition" mode.

The Discovery Edition is (as far as I know) free. It's any official copy of LightWave that does not come with a hardware key. You cannot save artwork out of a Discovery Edition, and you should not have paid for a Discovery Edition. If someone sold you LightWave without the hardware key, call him up and ask for that key!

Cman
03-14-2005, 07:30 PM
If you didn't get a hardware dongle, either USB or Serial device, you got ripped off.

HDMH
03-14-2005, 07:51 PM
thank you guys. I have the USB key and I have License Key. I didn't use the USB key - when trying to work with LW.

so I hope that everything is OK.

well now I have the next dialog box: "your temporary license key has 15 days remaining. Contact NewTek to get a permanent license key" ----- what is that? hey, I just want to learn how to work with LightWave; Not to be a pilot.....

WCameron
03-14-2005, 07:58 PM
thank you guys. I have the USB key and I have License Key. I didn't use the USB key - when trying to work with LW.

so I hope that everything is OK.

well now I have the next dialog box: "your temporary license key has 15 days remaining. Contact NewTek to get a permanent license key" ----- what is that? hey, I just want to learn how to work with LightWave; Not to be a pilot.....

whey you buy it you get a temporary key that is designed to cover the time it takes to call up newtek give them the dongle id number/registration info and for them to send you a perminate key file. once you get the perminate key file there
wont be a countdown (make a note Back Up the Key File! :-)

You can do it online as well - but the turn around time tendes to be longer
that way. ( http://www.newtek.com/support/reg/index.html )

if you call its best between about 9 AM and 5 PM Texas time (which is ... er ... eastern western central mountain lunar time i think.... ehem)

- Will.

HDMH
03-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Thank you very much!!! I'll do it ASAP!!!

just another question: where is the "create"? or the tools - "curves"?, "points"? etc etc...

Cman
03-14-2005, 08:35 PM

just another question: where is the "create"? or the tools - "curves"?, "points"? etc etc...

LOL! That's a whole different world! :D

Celshader
03-14-2005, 08:46 PM

Follow any tutorial that came with LW[8] -- that'll help get you started. Also check out these tutorial sites:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

Some of these tutorials were written for older versions of LightWave, and so the buttons and keyboard shortcuts appear in different places. If this causes a problem, you can change your LW[8] menu layouts/hotkeys to older LW menu layout/hotkey presets. The LW[8] manual explains how on pages 16 and 19.

Cman
03-14-2005, 10:57 PM
:(
Sorry I wasn't as helpful as Celshader.

For later, here's a cool tutorial for character animation

http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/old/popThru/popThru.html

Good luck!

HDMH
03-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Thank you for your help!!! cool things.

Now I understand a little.....but still lost. I understand that the Modeler is my working area - where I can use the box tool, pen etc etc - toolbar; and use the menu tab - "create" etc etc.

I can't find/see that Modeler (I see only the one on the top-right "Modeler F12").......

Celshader
03-15-2005, 10:22 AM
LightWave kinda comes in two parts -- a Modeler program (modeler.exe) and Layout (Lightwave.exe), the animation/rendering component. You create your models in Modeler and render them in Layout. They can share information with each other through a third program, the Hub (hub.exe), but for the most part they're separate.

In Modeler, you create models that you save out in the *.lwo format (LightWave Object). You can then load these models into Layout and save their arrangement (and camera/lighting placement) in the *.lws format (LightWave Scene).

I recommend loading in some of the files in the Content directory that came with your LightWave CD, just to see examples of how a scene or model might look in Layout, or a model might look in Modeler. That way you can practice loading, saving, and rendering. Work your way out from there. Don't worry about creating anything right now -- just experiment with the interface and see what any given button might do. Don't be afraid to make a mistake -- all of the Content and the program itself can be restored from the LightWave CD-ROM, if anything goes wrong.

Constant use of the software will pay off. Experiment or follow tutorials -- whatever gets you exploring the interface will make you more familiar with that interface. It'll take some practice, but you'll learn it.

HDMH
03-15-2005, 10:48 AM
"LightWave kinda comes in two parts......." -- I didn't know that.

Now I see the modeler ( light blue icon)....... Thank you very much for your time!!! I'm going to start right away!!! :)

Tiger
03-15-2005, 11:01 AM
HDMH, here is some nice Quick Video Tutorials:
http://newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/videos/index.html

Check out the first one:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/Imodel_web.mov

Celshader
03-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Good links, Tiger.

Before I forget, here's a site with more free LightWave video tutorials:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/

Mdust
03-15-2005, 11:32 AM
LightWave kinda comes in two parts......." -- I didn't know that.

Now I see the modeler ( light blue icon).......

Just making sure it didn't get missed. You know that you can go between these two programs via the little button on the right - in Layout labled modler - which you saw - and in Modler there is a dropdown - a small black triangle up there on the row nest to the layers buttons that lets you access Layout among other things.

A practical recomendation would be to always fire up Layout and open Modler from that blue button because sometimes the hub is a little finnicky and sometimes the commands in that drop down in Modler are ghosted. So rather than having to fuss with the hub restarting it and so on, you just go in the above sequence.

BTW the hub is accessable in as a little green icon in the lower right portion of the tool bar of Windows. Just click on the little white arrow to see the icon and click on it to open and see if it is running.

And one last thing. You have to save your object from modeler before you can access the Send To Layout command on the little drop down list. Otherwise it will be ghosted.

Oh, and don't forget to have fun!

Mdust

HDMH
03-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info.

I just searched Amazon and I want to buy the book by Dan AblanInside LightWave 8

The book is good, right? any other good book?

Thanks for your help!!!

Celshader
03-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info.

I just searched Amazon and I want to buy the book by Dan AblanInside LightWave 8

Thanks for your help!!!

I co-authored this one along with a bunch of other folks:
LightWave 3D 8: 1001 Tips & Tricks (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556220901/)

Go to a bookstore that has a copy and flip through it. I think you'll like it. Over forty LightWave folks contributed to it, and (I think) it's all good stuff. No major tutorials or anything, just good-to-know tips.

-NG-
03-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the info.

Thanks for your help!!!

There are tons of lightwave books out there all of them are great! :) That's the cool thing about the LW community, it seems like LW got most reference books on the market when you compare it to other apps.

I definatlly recommend to check at this link http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/. :)

Have fun with LW.