PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Can anyone help me?

fabmedia
03-14-2005, 12:51 PM
I have a client who's using 3D studio max and wants me to do a job (likes my work), but he's unsure about the conversion from Lightwave to Max. Could someone please convert the simple file that I have. It's just a box with UVs and two images. I'm in a desperate need. I will do my best to give help in return for this service. That is on the same level of effort.

The file for download is here : http://www.spacemanzot.com/fabmedia3D.zip

I'm on a Mac here and can only receive other ZIP or SIT files.

cresshead
03-14-2005, 04:01 PM
okay here's what i get...

1.if i import using the lwo importer from 3d plugins.de for 3ds max the model comes in okay with a multi subobject surface but there are no uv co ordinates.

2.if i export from lightwave as a 3ds file [from lightwave 8.0] after tripling the model the model can be imported to 3ds max via the 3ds import file type [built into 3ds max] and the surfaces come in [multi sub object] but yet again there's no uv info in them...so no pictures...[even edited the name to keep within the 8:3 convention]

3.if i export from lightwave 8.0 as a obj file the object comes in okay but yet again there's no uv information.

4.if i manually make a model copy in 3ds max and assign textures and uv's and then export FROM 3dsmax as a 3ds file the file will import correctly into lightwave and the textures and uv's also come in as well...

seems as though the uv info is not being transfered out of lightwave to 3ds max...

i also imported the said files into silo and xsi foundation and no uv's came in there either from your lwo file, so it's not down to 3ds max reading it correctly.

i'll try with lightwave 7.5 and lightwave 5.6 tomorrow when i get back from teaching at notts college.

your best bet maybe either dot xsi format or fbx format...or possibly a fixed version of the 3ds exporter if it exists in one of the versions of lightwave 3d.

steve g

email me if you need to......
info AT cresshead DOT com

fabmedia
03-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Now how did you do that? Did you use Polytrans or another method?

cresshead
03-14-2005, 04:30 PM
no just lightwave n max......

there's lwo impoter plugins and obj plugins for import export for 3ds max here:-

www.maxplugins.de

if you want to export as a .3ds file you need to rename any images used in 8:3 format so the name is not longer than 8 letters long and also you need to triple the mesh before output [shift + t] and also check that there's no single or 2 point polys in your mesh as 3ds max cannot support them and will crash on import if there are.... use the w key i lightwave to see if there are andy 1 or 2 point polys and get rid of them if there are.

steve g

cresshead
03-14-2005, 04:32 PM
btw i have lightwave, 3ds max, silo and xsi so i can test most things out...i seem to spend all my cash on apps!....inc combustion....blah blah blah!

cheers

steve g

fabmedia
03-14-2005, 04:34 PM
The polys need to remain as 4 sided polygons. The spec of the job.

Yeah software purchases are my personal hell too.

cresshead
03-14-2005, 04:49 PM
well your out of luck with 3ds max as the whole app is based on tri's...it just hides edges to fake the look of quads.
though it does a great job of it most of the time....
if you need fake quads on import [maybe for meshsmooth etc] then you need to use obj format or dxf as 3ds will always be
tris if coming from lightwave exporter...same goes for fbx as this will tri everything too.

not sure about dot xsi [free exporter from flay] if i remember right it's real good and has uv's etc.

fabmedia
03-14-2005, 04:52 PM
Yeah, meshsmooth is one of the big things that they had mentioned. It appears that there may be some headaches.

Have you used Polytrans? Apparently it's supposed to work spot on.

lunarcamel
03-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Here you go - all quads with uv's as a MAX file. I didn't include your maps with this - it's just the mesh.

The 3ds exporter will triangulate everything - use Deep Exploration or Polytrans. (You must have a license of MAX installed with either of these apps)

fabmedia
03-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Cheers mate! Much appreciated!!!!!

I'm not sure what's happening with this project, but would you be interested in a few bucks for conversion?

lunarcamel
03-14-2005, 05:48 PM
If it's not a zillion objects I'll do it for free - it's like 1 minute out of my life :) I have a buddy who calls me up all the time and needs the same type of conversion heh.

lesterfoster
03-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Have you tried the free demo of Rhino??

It can import almost anything and export almost anything. And it is free.

+++MART+++
08-15-2005, 04:58 AM
I think I can't even dream about converting an animated model from 3dmax to lws?

I want to convert a soldier running. does anyone have animated skelegons and would like to share it?

+++MART+++

fabmedia
08-15-2005, 10:50 AM
I want to convert a soldier running. does anyone have animated skelegons and would like to share it?

It's not that anyone would share such a thing, but it would be next to impossible for you to implement it into your model. It would be far easier for you to create your own skelegons and bone your character. Each model needs it's own set up. There are some really good automated character bone set ups that can help you. The one I use is ACS (Auto Character Setup). You can find it at http://www.polas.net/acs

It's really good and can help you along the lines of learning how to setup your own characters. But like I said, each character needs it's own custome bone system in order to work correctly. Once you've set it up, it's very easy to animate. You can find a lot of resources on the net that can help you with timing.

cresshead
08-15-2005, 10:55 AM
you could take 'snapshots' from 3dsmax of various states of the run cycle then use morphs to get up and running in lightwave...no bones needed!
:thumbsup: