PDA

View Full Version : Any sign of SDK improvements?

DMarkwick
03-14-2005, 08:13 AM
I have read in various places that some of the more innovative & useful plugins are limited in their scope by the supplied SDK for Lightwave. I also heard that after LW8 has been patched after v8 to iron out the unforseen that LW development would temporarily take a back seat for the SDK to be brought up to scratch.

I'm thinking here of plugins like FPrime, a tool I could really use but haven't got yet because of its inability to handle volumetrics which I use a lot, and which the SDK does not expose.

Is there any news on the further development of the SDK?

hrgiger
03-14-2005, 12:54 PM
There were 22 improvements to the SDK in version 8.2. These were added in addition to a few added features so it is not true that development is taking a backseat while the SDK is being improved. Chuck has stated already that there will be more improvements to the SDK as well as more features during the Lightwave 8.x cycle.

masterchief
03-21-2005, 12:13 PM
SDK distribution????

where is it?
can I get some, please????

regards,
William

gjjackson
03-21-2005, 02:15 PM
SDK distribution????

where is it?
can I get some, please????

regards,
William

Geez, didn't you even look in your LW directory.

Signal to Noise
03-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Geez, didn't you even look in your LW directory.

I can't remember if this is the case with LW but with most apps the SDK gets installed by the user via the Custom Install menu. So if the user picked "Typical" or "Default" install then likely the SDK is left out.

masterchief
03-22-2005, 05:49 AM
SDK installed, has been since v7... :)

I was referring to improvements to the SDK and how it was to be distributed.... I feel I should not have to wait for next LW update in order to get updated SDK.

SDK should be updated/released more frequently than LW distribution. IMHO

So.... I repeat my question.... where is the SDK? If it is being constantly updated, it should be made available to registered LW users

regards,
William

hrgiger
03-22-2005, 06:33 AM
Well, if you have installed 8.2, then you have the new SDK. It's part of the reason to upgrade.

masterchief
03-22-2005, 06:41 AM
Well, if you have installed 8.2, then you have the new SDK. It's part of the reason to upgrade.

you are SDK developer?????

hrgiger
03-22-2005, 06:42 AM
No, why would you say that?

masterchief
03-22-2005, 06:53 AM
LW v8.2 includes latest release of SDK .
enhancements to SDK can be updated many times before LW gets updated.

why make us wait?

masterchief
03-22-2005, 06:54 AM
I need Visual Studio .Net extensions for creating plugins. The link is broken in this forum. Please advise.

regards,
William

Jarno
03-23-2005, 07:58 PM
LW v8.2 includes latest release of SDK .
enhancements to SDK can be updated many times before LW gets updated.

No it can't. The SDK is basically a bunch of header files and documentation. The implementation is in LW itself. In order for a new feature to be added to the SDK it has to be added to LW.

I need Visual Studio .Net extensions for creating plugins.

No you don't. LW plugins are just standard DLLs. Pretty much any Windows-based compiler can create them.

---JvdL---

Lightwolf
03-24-2005, 06:35 AM
I was referring to improvements to the SDK and how it was to be distributed.... I feel I should not have to wait for next LW update in order to get updated SDK.

SDK should be updated/released more frequently than LW distribution. IMHO

How? The SDK only describes and interface into LW. And there is no change to that interface if LW doesn't change.
SDK and LW updates go hand in hand.

Cheers,
Mike

masterchief
03-24-2005, 07:52 AM
you are basing your statement on the assumption that the SDK gives complete access to LW... it is my undertstanding that this is not the case.

FPrime plugin from Worley Labs is prime example of this problem.

on another note:

Visual Studio .Net 2003 wrapper for LW SDK: http://www.splinecage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649

hrgiger
03-24-2005, 11:13 AM
No, he was only indicating that the SDK is an interface to the parts of Lightwave that it can address. Everyone knows that the SDK doesn't allow third party plug-ins access to all of lightwaves features. They're working on it. This is old news.

Lightwolf
03-24-2005, 11:37 AM
you are basing your statement on the assumption that the SDK gives complete access to LW... it is my undertstanding that this is not the case.
I am basing my assumption on the knowledge that the SDK gives limited access to LW :)
Removing the limits however requires extending the LW executable, just a change of the SDK won't help.
That would be like turning a Lada into a Porsche by adding a new Logo to the bonnet ;)

Cheers,
Mike