PDA

View Full Version : Some info on next releases - Chuck ?

Pavlov
03-13-2005, 04:55 PM
Hi all,
EI people jumping on the boat is a great new for LWers and makes me hope something is finally happening (also) at our good but dated rendering engine.
Newtek has a long tradition about keeping their secrets until release; beside this i think i'm not the only one interested in a rough timing for this.
Questions is:

Will we see noticeable(*) improvements in GI-and-lighting areas in a few months (before SIGGRAPH) ?

(*) I'm not speaking of single features which are surely going to be added, but deeper improvement like:
- SDK opening to allow external engines hooking;
- A revamp of the entire lighting system (starting from shadowing), LW's control on lighting is currently the weakest in high-end area.
- New plugin classes allowing 3rd party to develop (mainly) their Cameras, light types, shadow types and AA fiters; Lw would gain much power if plugins could reach these areas. Control is all; PRman keeps its place against other newer engines mostly because, well, control. Give a look at http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155423

Thanks in advance,

Paolo Zambrini

Pavlov
03-14-2005, 04:56 PM
No answer jet, i hope it's a matter of time.
Given the shape and direction of 3D market today and recent Newtek's moves, i hope it's felt as legitimate user's question and not as provocation, since it's not.

Thanks,
Paolo Zambrini

Dodgy
03-14-2005, 06:50 PM
We've only just had 8.2.1.....

Every time after we get a new release it takes about 5 days before someone says 'What's next?' and expects an answer :)

Pavlov
03-15-2005, 03:14 AM
We've only just had 8.2.1.....

Every time after we get a new release it takes about 5 days before someone says 'What's next?' and expects an answer :)

Really, it's not because of 8.2.1... or 8.2, or 8.
I'm still on 7.5c, and i still dont know if i'll ever upgrade LW though i use it daily.
Market is changing, client askings are changing and so production times. LW is still great for many tasks but simply it's not following this trend.
I'm already adding other tools at work; since planning is important, i'd like to have info to plan on.
It's not a personal issue with NT; they choose what's right in their POV, it's up to user to follow them or not depending on their needing.
NT is not developing LW in VIZ direction from much time, so maybe they're going in gaming/RT/previz direction. This would be a shame, since jumping on other boats is never totally failsafe and easy.
Users need (and deserve) to know which direction NT is going to make our decisions.
Personally, i dont find any reasons to keep *all* under silence; nobody asks for a feature list of next versions, but which LW's areas will be mainly addressed in next times. A total silence is never a good answer for users; ironically enough, i get answers to this kind of questions from all companies i asked, but Newtek.

Paolo Zambrini

Chuck
03-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Paolo, there is nothing specific I can tell you at this time, but I'll certainly ask the LightWave team to give some consideration to your questions, and discuss this with them when I get back. I do expect that many of the future improvements the team is planning will be very useful for visualization. LightWave has applications in a variety of fields, and we want to maintain that versatility in the application.

I'm on vacation currently, and will not be checking in often, so please, anyone with questions for me, be patient while I'm away a few days.

Thanks!

Chuck

Pavlov
03-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Paolo, there is nothing specific I can tell you at this time, but I'll certainly ask the LightWave team to give some consideration to your questions, and discuss this with them when I get back. I do expect that many of the future improvements the team is planning will be very useful for visualization. LightWave has applications in a variety of fields, and we want to maintain that versatility in the application.

I'm on vacation currently, and will not be checking in often, so please, anyone with questions for me, be patient while I'm away a few days.

Thanks!

Chuck

Thank you for your answer; anyway i hope future will bring more interaction between users and developers. I think both developers and users would benefit from this.

Paolo Zambrini

Silkrooster
03-15-2005, 04:47 PM
I agree with you as long as it does not compromise NT's "secret feature(s)"
Silk

mkiii
03-17-2005, 08:47 PM
When are we going to see an update to the Eagle in a barrel plugin. I have been waiting for a new version since 5.x

I think it's outrageous that this plugin has not been touched in any way since then. In fact. where is it? I don't see it anywhere in 8.21

Pavlov
03-18-2005, 05:53 AM
When are we going to see an update to the Eagle in a barrel plugin. I have been waiting for a new version since 5.x

I think it's outrageous that this plugin has not been touched in any way since then. In fact. where is it? I don't see it anywhere in 8.21

Yes; beside rendering issues, i wont upgrade instead until i'll see newer, interactive Eagle and Teapot tools.