PDA

View Full Version : Compositing For DOF Blur/Edges

nickej
03-13-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm interested in using Z-depth renders to help with creating depth of field in rendering composites. I'm aware that it's possible to use a 100% luminous material and a black fog to create this "channel" (or vice-versa), but there's a problem with this and with some other Z-depth buffer methods that I've tried, and that is that the edges of the objects, as defined by the depth render, are always hard, meaning that when blur is applied, the object will blur within the selections, but not outside as well, as in "real" DOF. I suppose it would be possible to render the depth channels with DOF themselves, but tht seems awfully time-consuming. I was wondering if there's some secret method out there that I've never heard of that will make this sort of DOF more practical and effective-looking.

Limbus
03-14-2005, 02:22 AM
Did you try to use one of the many Buffersavers to save out the Z Channel? The RPF Format alos suppotst Z channel info. This works quite well.

Florian

nickej
03-14-2005, 04:05 PM
HA! I didn't even think of that! The last time I did any project that required this sort of stuff, RLA and RPF didn't exist, so far as I can recall. I was going over my mental "toolkit" without even thinking if new stuff might help.