PDA

View Full Version : volumetrics animation??

abysmalgail
03-13-2005, 12:47 PM
my problem is i'm making an animated logo and i would like to add a smoke effect of some kind,
so i added a null and whent to volumetrics and fog options and adjusted the size of
the smoke per key that i set
when i played the animation the smoke was at the biggest that i set it over the hole animation, while it schould slowely grow bigger,
is there no way that i can lock settings per key or something like that?
please help!

Wonderpup
03-13-2005, 01:18 PM
HI abysmalgail,

I hope I am understanding your problem correctly.

The thing about Lightwave is that to animate an effect you need to create an 'envelope' by clicking on the 'e' button next to the parameter you are animating, then you can set keys in the graph editor over time. If you simply input different values, the last value you set will be used throughout. This is a bit confusing if you are used to other softeware that lets you input keys directly into the value box, but it is kind of nice in that when you click an active 'e' button, this opens the graph editior with the relevent function curves selected.

SplineGod
03-13-2005, 02:00 PM
The problem is that theres so many ways to get a smoke effect and to animate it.
If you can give a clearer description of exactly what you want it would make it easier to give a helpful answer :)

abysmalgail
03-14-2005, 12:51 AM
thanks for the help wonderpop :)

splinegod: what i would like to create is a animated logo, i want to move the camera from top to bottom of the letters and let some smoke come from under them
i want to give the viewer the idea the letters are growing, when the camera moves down like the viewer is getting smaler and smaler and :p

but when the animation comes to it's first frame again i don't wan't the view to jump back at once, i gotta think about how i'm gonna do that some more

SplineGod
03-14-2005, 01:53 AM
You could create the logo and then use a clip map to slowly reveal it from top to bottom. At the same time you can use the same image map to control the birthrate on particles emitting from an object that is the dimensions of your logo and behind it. Apply HVs to the particles. :)

objuan
03-14-2005, 08:20 AM
you might try playing with gradients on some of the smoke voxels channels. the partical age, or time input paremeters might help get you what you want.

nice eyeball logo by the way, did you make it?

abysmalgail
03-15-2005, 03:33 AM
thank's for all the tips :)

and objuan i have to dissapoint you the eyeball logo is not mine :(
i wish it was thou :p