PDA

View Full Version : Bad Audio Bug VT4! - No Single Channel EQ

Mark Patrick
03-12-2005, 10:23 PM
I have two seperate channels of audio in my project.

In control tree, if I select the Left or Right channel, with the splines or "knobs", I
can control volume with no problem.

But if I try to control the Graphic Equalizer, it will absolutely do nothing. Click
the "enabled" switch, change the buttons or splines to high heaven and there
is not change in the audio on a single channel.

Yet, If I choose the "Graphic Equalizer" under the master setting, it works
perfect, but I have to apply the EQ settings to both channels.

I have no EQ control over the indivual channels. I could be wrong, but
I have spent about 4 hours or more messing with this.

Mark Patrick
03-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Mono Mode does not work either. When selected, I can see both channels, but
there is no volume. I have two seperate channels of audio in this project and
you can not select one single channel and make it play mono in both sides.

I may be an idiot, but I have never seen anything more crazy and complicated
yet with VT.

I just don't think it should be so hard to accomplish a task like controlling EQ
on two seperate channels and sending the sound out both sides. I really don't
want to have to spend days rolling tons of audio into an external program. I
just wanted to put a little eq on each channel. I am afraid when I try to burn a DVD that it is going to seperate the channels, like music on one side and vocals
on another.

It may have something to do with the floating point audio. I wished I could just find away to set VT4 up for the two channles. I don't want the front and back, just a basic Left and Right system that actually works and is user friendly.

If I ever get through this wedding project, I am walking away from video entirely for at least six months. My nerves just can't take this much longer.

Mark Patrick
03-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Posted on both groups, sorry for the duplicate. .... but wanted to update here.

After nearly 18 hours, I have made this discovery: In control tree advanced, I can choose "Blue" or "Right Front Audio" (my track 2) and freely adjust the splines for volume. This is what I did to about 35 sections of audio.

But, to Graphic Equalize the right track, I have to go into the EQ on "Red" or "Left Front Audio". The EQ is backwards and this is true in the "Audio Levels" panel also. I have to choose right to equalize left.This is extremely confusing and non intuitive. I am "out of control" on my audio and am not sure what I will wind up with. And the MONO switch brings silence. I really don't like the deal in audio panel where you move the speakers around.

I just send NewTek a complaint. Today, I will invest another 14-18 hours on this audio and it could turn into days and days because I have over 35 clips with 2 seperate channels of audio on each. I hate to have to go to an external program - I shouldn't have to! I can equalize both Left and Right the same with the "master EQ", but since one channel is lavalier and one is shotgun, the shotgun will sound "tinny"

bradl
03-13-2005, 12:26 PM
With all the problems you're having, maybe you should split your tracks into two seperate files.

Mark Patrick
03-13-2005, 12:38 PM
How do I do this?

bradl
03-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Just checking and you are right. The EQ is backwards but all the other settings aren't. Also, Mono works fine here. One thing to check is "Audio Mixer Mono Dip" in preferences and try setting it to No Dip.

As far as seperate files, I would mute one track (set it to -60 or something since there is no track mute, or pan it to the rear) then set the the other track's "Left to Right" Pan to 0.00 then Render Audio only to new file. Do the opposite to render the other. Big hassle I know.

If that sounds like too much trouble, try just setting your pans to 0.00 to achieve 'mono' then EQ each track as needed except remembering it it backwards.

Maybe someone else may suggest something easier.

Mark Patrick
03-13-2005, 08:28 PM
I am glad the EQ problem showed up on yours too. We have a bonafide bug. I have notified Newtek.

I am just going to limp through this project with the backwards EQ - at least if I can make it through. It is usable, but you have to keep your mind on what you are doing when doing this workaround.

Strange enough Brad, when I try to set it to mono "o", the audio cancels itself
out and goes silent, though the meters move at full volume. Lots of strange things happening in the audio and as I previously posted, I have some WMV files streaming
on the net that have some kind of Phase problem. They were put together in VT3 and VT4

bradl
03-14-2005, 08:07 AM
I started thinking it may be a phase cancel problem but sounded like you had discrete audio or mic tracks so it didn't seem likely.

Last night I also thought of something, you could create seperate tracks without rendering anything, just mute/pan for the left, then drag a second copy and mute/pan for the right. Now you can use the master EQ on each.

Hope you get through it without too much aggravation!

DonN
03-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Mark, Look at the Tool Shed and User presets.

If I understand you correctly, you are setting all 35 of your audio tracks to the same EQ settings.
I would do one manually and first use the clone method as per bradl above, to isolate the left and right channels. then make a user preset for the left and another one for the right. Cloning is control-drag, and you can do it on groups.

You apply the left preset to all the remaining left channel clips in one go, BAM.
Select all and apply.
And the right preset to all the right clones, BAM. you're done...
Minutes not hours.

Don

DonN
03-14-2005, 08:20 AM
I believe "Mono" mode mixes L and R and puts the mix on both channels identically.
Thus "flattening" the audio.
Is this not what you get?
It's use is for getting single track audio on both L AND R.
Don :)

Mark Patrick
03-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Hello Don,

I actually have about 35 clips of audio. When I click MONO at anytime I can see the dual signal, but hear nothing. There is some kind of Phase problem.

On the EQ situation, it is for sure, to EQ Front Left you have to use the Front Right
EQ on the individual channels, the "switches" do not work right either.

I am moving at a pretty fast pace now that I have a handle on what is wrong.

Jim Capillo
03-14-2005, 10:42 AM
I have found the easiest way to use mono is to digitize the audio as such.

nevmoor
03-17-2005, 08:24 PM
I assume you must have finished the edit on the video before messing with the audio, so I may be off with this suggestion:

After digitizing your footage, couldn't you have selected all the audio and made it a subproject, duplicated it(1 for left, 1 for right)made your adjustments then expanded the subproject keeping the changes?? when you expand do you loose you global adjustments??

I have been using SoundForge to fix audio after the video edits have been completed because I would rather wait for the render time and use an audio sweetening program to fix stuff.
BTW, a lot of 2trk type audio editors only allow you to EQ both left and right at them same time.