PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Stalls

legomanww
04-18-2003, 08:49 PM
Every so often, maybe around 10 minutes apart, when I run a command, hit a button, etc, lightwave seems to pause. It does not respond and just sites there for a few minutes. It does not freeze, but just pauses. I opened up the system monitor and it is not using the processor hardly at all, just for background programs. Lightwave is the only program that stops, the rest continue to work perfectly.

I'm using lw 7.5b in 98se on a 2.4 p4 with 256 mb ram. The scenes aren't very complex, some have just as much as a sphere. I don't really see much of a pattern in where it stalls.

I haven't tried reinstalling lightwave yet.

Thanks

legoman

JamesCurtis
04-20-2003, 10:11 AM
I think it has a lot to do with running Win98.

mattclary
04-21-2003, 06:47 AM
Ditto. Upgrade your OS.

legomanww
04-21-2003, 08:07 AM
I thought that might be what it was. It would probably also help the 3 minute boot time (not an exaggeration).

Is there any advantage to getting xp pro over home for this type of setup?

mattclary
04-21-2003, 08:36 AM
I've only used Pro, so I'm not sure of the differences. Also, make sure your hardware is up to snuff. What cpu do you use and how much memory?

legomanww
04-21-2003, 04:46 PM
I have a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 with 256 MB of ram. I just upgraded it less than a month ago, and have started to notice things like that.
Sometimes other programs stall too, like acdsee. I've been trying to figure out how to reduce the starup time from 3 minutes, as my other 133 MHz can start up in less time. I've noticed that 98 has a longer boot times than all othe other OS that I've seen.

mattclary
04-22-2003, 05:46 AM
You definitely have the horsepower for XP! I would suggest more ram, especially for using LightWave. Get as much as your motherboard and wallet can handle.

legomanww
04-22-2003, 06:42 PM
I've been planning on getting more ram, and a new os. Been trying to decide if it was worth the extra hundred bucks to get pro over home, but I'm gonna get the full version, so I can do a clean install. I got my computer used, and wasn't able to format it, because I don't have 98, or 95 for that matter.

It is possible to mix different speed DDR on the same motherboard, as long as they are the correct types, right?

mattclary
04-23-2003, 05:49 AM
Ehhhhh... not sure. Also not sure I would do that.