PDA

View Full Version : Free character rig

ardee
03-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi dear LightWavers,

this is something I'd like to share with you. I'm leaving LightWave behind (a tear rolling down my cheek) and having benefited from that incredible bunch of people which is the LightWave community, I'd at least like to give something back. Not much in the way I can give, but at least it's something.

Attached to this you'll find a LightWave scene with a character of mine. It's only halfway through rigging (corrective morphs for the major joints were planned next) and the rig suffers from some weak spots (like the elbow IK not being very stable), but overall it's already quite enjoyable. It uses RV_Spine which really rocks and gives a lot more natural feeling to the rig.

The character itself, though being cartoony in style, has quite a bit of detail (unfortunately, there's some weak spots in polygon flow especially showing up in deformations). It's modeled after a real-world person and I still have plans with the model. If you know that guy (the most odd of things keep happening), please don't tell him. Otherwise you're free to use the model for just about everything except claiming it's yours (in which case I'll come and apply the Knife tool a few times on you).

The LW screen grab is just a quick pose. As I said, deformations haven't yet been dealt with.

So, have a good time. Till later (one sweet day when money grows on trees, I'll be coming back to LightWave anyway).

Gollum
03-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Looks like a good rig, I'll have a loot at it soon. Looking for ways to improve my own, maybe this will give me a few pointers (the spine looks interesting!).

Why are you leaving LW behind BTW?

riki
03-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Hey sweet thanks for the rig. New seats of LW are pretty cheap these days.

ardee
03-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Gollum: Definitely recommend RV_Spine. My previous spine setups all were humbug compared to it. Important: Someone said you do not need to flatten out spine bone hierarchies as said in the RV_Spine docs. If you don't do, LW gets slower and slower with each spine bone added.

As for me leaving LW, it's more or less because LW and me aren't perfect fits. LW's most prominent characteristic is the broad feature palette allowing the application to cover lots of ground. However, I want depth instead of breadth. My focus is on characters and LW is weak in this respect. Its deformation tools are very poor. I want procedural weighting tools, practicable weight mapping, easier rig editing, more speed and responsiveness, and a generally more streamlined process for setting up characters.

Still, that doesn't mean that LW isn't a great application. It's just a matter of choosing an application that best fits your needs.

riki: On a limited budget such as mine, even cheap isn't cheap enough.