PDA

View Full Version : Help: Importing LIDAR Data

3danim8d
03-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi, I have a troubling question here, I have a 120+ mb text file of points from multiple registered LIDAR scans that are in Easting (x), Northing (y), and Elevation (Z) comma delimited format.

I thought there was an easy way to import points into Modeler, I searched the help file and on here for 'LIDAR' and haven't found what I need.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks,

Jeff

SplineGod
03-12-2005, 01:53 PM
I would write something in lscript to read in the points and create points in modeler.

Lightwolf
03-12-2005, 02:16 PM
LIDAR is afaik an airborne laser scanning format. While you could code an LScript, you would only end up with a bunch of points.

I'd suggest you take some time and search on google and dive into the world of open source GIS software. I'm quite sure there's something out there to help you convert the data to a format you can use...

Is the LIDAR data at regular intervals?

Cheers,
Mike

hijacker
03-13-2005, 04:59 PM
To use it, your best bet is to turn it into a DEM, in geotiff or .img (ESRI) format is best then use it as a bump map, or you can go get Microdem

http://www.usna.edu/Users/oceano/pguth/website/microdem.htm

off the net, it's freeware, not sure exactly if it handles LIDAR but I think it might, load the LIDAR as a dem and see (also try it as ASCII Grid) then transform it into a dem and then into a DXF wire (Save as - 3D - DXF grid/triangles). If MICRODEM won't do it I'm sure there are others that will. But once you hace it tranfered to DEM you should be right. If your desperate and need it done and can't find a way, I could help out as I have other commercial GIS software here at work that should do it. You'd just have to get the data to me.

Cheers

Martyn