PDA

View Full Version : dreadfully slow?

fabmedia
03-11-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm just checking in to see how everyone else is doing. I have a Dual 867 with 1.75 Gb of RAM and a 64 Mb video card, and I've optimized LW and Modeler the best I can, but LW just sits and things, has no interaction, jumps about, and is so slow. I thought initially that it was the OS needing to be reinstalled, but no. The samething after a clean install. Photoshop and all of the other 10 programs that I use on a regular basis work fine.

I just need to know that it's not just me. The performance at this point is horrible. Spinning disc here I come again.

I would also like to add that if I'm to just move an object, it will delay at least 2 seconds before doing it, then typically moves farther than what it should. Argh...

ingo
03-12-2005, 02:18 AM
Which version of Lightwave do you use ? I had the same problems (and more) with 8.2 so i switched back to 7.5 and all is fine again. I am on a single G5 1.8 with 2,5 GB RAM with Mac OS X 10.3

fabmedia
03-12-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm using 8.2. I am really surprised that your G5 can't handle it. One of the files that I was working on lately was only 108, 000 polygons. It's not that big, but a scene that I compelted about 3/4 of a year ago under 7.5, LW couldn't handle the 650,000 polys that I needed to work with. It's a bummer really.

Erizo
03-19-2005, 07:24 PM
I'm just checking in to see how everyone else is doing. I have a Dual 867 with 1.75 Gb of RAM and a 64 Mb video card, and I've optimized LW and Modeler the best I can, but LW just sits and things, has no interaction, jumps about, and is so slow. I thought initially that it was the OS needing to be reinstalled, but no. The samething after a clean install. Photoshop and all of the other 10 programs that I use on a regular basis work fine.

I just need to know that it's not just me. The performance at this point is horrible. Spinning disc here I come again.

I would also like to add that if I'm to just move an object, it will delay at least 2 seconds before doing it, then typically moves farther than what it should. Argh...

I have the same problem as you, but in my case, it is worse. For example, i have a Powerbook 15" 1,33Ghz and 768Mb of Ram, with a ATI 9700 64Mb.

I load an object form Content/Objects/Electronic/camera.lwo and i have the same behaviour as you. If i try to move, or rotate, or somethign similar it delay 1 or two seconds with no control in tha operation. And this object is only 25000 polygons.
:eek: :mad: I tried LW 7.5 and the same behaviour as LW 8.2.

harlan
03-19-2005, 08:48 PM
try switching to a "non-shaded" view (ie: wireframe, frontface wireframe, etc...) and see if that helps. I have a similar problem, and that's the best workaround for it in the meantime - it's definitely not an OGL or Apple thing as the mesh works wonderfully in other apps.

hope that helps.

fabmedia
03-20-2005, 12:06 PM
- it's definitely not an OGL or Apple thing hope that helps.

OpenGL is the thing that is the problem. The display performance with LW is very bad in comparrison to other programs of similar stature. M*** can handle 300,000 polys on my machine before it starts to choke in a solid shade mode with reflections. You are right about the camera, because a model is a model, but the OpenGL code is what is different from app to app due to how the code is written or how the it's used.

What it really comes down to it is that somewhere the wires were crossed and things are just not working like they should. Maybe it's from all of the MIP mapping stuff. I don't know.

Erizo
03-22-2005, 09:43 AM
try switching to a "non-shaded" view (ie: wireframe, frontface wireframe, etc...) and see if that helps. I have a similar problem, and that's the best workaround for it in the meantime - it's definitely not an OGL or Apple thing as the mesh works wonderfully in other apps.

hope that helps.

It does not help.

I am angry because in a Windows machine that object moves fluid, and in MOdo in Mac computer also. Why in MOdeler in Mac computer is soooo slow? The only answer is a bad programming in the graphic part in Lightwave for Mac.