PDA

View Full Version : ik mesh issue

stevewoodzell
03-11-2005, 03:12 PM
i have this bizarre problem where i'll setup a nice IK rig in layout, and when i re-open the scene the mesh on the character is totally tweaked out and distorted. i've seen other people have the same problem but i have no idea what to do about it. any advice would be geatly appreciated

thanks dudes
steve

jvavra
03-14-2005, 12:42 PM
I have had similar problems when I was first starting out. I found that after you "Record Piv Rot (Shift+P)" on all your bones, you need to rest (r) all of your bones. That should work fine.

Hopes this helps. ;)

SplineGod
03-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Im going to disagree about using RPR on all your bones. Usually it has to do with resting ( r key) all of them. Sometimes if a bone is turned off when you save the scene the mesh will deform strangely when you reload it. Make sure you have a rest pose for your character so that you can temporarily turn off IK and rerest the bones.

jvavra
03-14-2005, 01:45 PM
So are you suggesting to allways save out your scene with your bones rested or "bones turned on"?

I have had some pretty bad mac issues, so when I find a method that works, and even if I know I don't need to do a certain step like "Record Piv Rot", I will do it anyway. Mac Character tools have been really messing up for me. Especially the Mirror Hierarcy.

SplineGod
03-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Definately! :)
When you REST bones its more then just turning them on. Every vertex is affected by every bone and how much influence each vertex gets depends on the bones rest length, rest position and rest orientation as well as the bones strength and the falloff settings. Each bone has a kind of force field around it. All this plus the distance of each point from a bone determines how much each bone influences each vertex. So if all the bones arent rested when saved with the scene it can sometimes load back in with some unwanted or unexpected distortions in the mesh. Its important to have a rest pose that you can go back to in order to easily rerest the bones. Its also a good idea to rest the bones before activating things like IK.

Also RPR is best used sparingly :)