PDA

View Full Version : Do I even have a switcher?

sierra
04-18-2003, 06:00 PM
As someone brand new--I just got VT2 yesterday, I have such basic questions. I looked over the postings trying not to duplicate threads, if so I'm sorry.

I'm confused about the switcher. I did not buy the break out box which I thought was the switcher. But I have a panel for the switcher at my hub. Does this mean I do have a switcher? The manual goes back and forth for those with the switcher, but isn't always clear if they are addressing you if you didn't buy the box.

I was able to load 7 pieces of an animation I did in AURA (I'm not new to Aura) to the timeline in Toaster Edit. But I can't get the DVE's to work in the Toaster Edit. The head just glides over them leaving a blank screen. The 7 Aura pieces play fine (beautifully actually.)
Is this because the switcher is not informed correctly by me as to what I want and when?

Rich Deustachio
04-18-2003, 09:24 PM
Make sure you have overlay off in the edit properties of the clips.

SBowie
04-19-2003, 06:31 AM
I think Rich may be correct about your DVE issue, but just to specifically address your query about the Switcher:

The T[2], any model/version, does have and use the software Switcher panel. If you lack the SX-8, the default Switcher module skin is the compact one, but you can switch it to one of the larger versions at will using the context menu (right-click) or by cycling through the options using the little 's' button on it's upper right edge.

In any configuration (with or without SX-8), the software Switcher is used to decide which source will be routed to the Program Out, and which is on the Preview bus. What the SX-8 adds is the daughtercard and the breakout box. The daughtercard provides the ability to have a second analog input active, and the option to assign any two of the breakout box's many inputs as either or both of the active sources.

Again, lacking the SX-8, you can still switch two sources -- but since you don't have the second analog input offered by the daughtercard, one of them must necessarily come from somewhere else, such as the HD (using a DDR, for example), or other digital source (like the CG).

sierra
04-19-2003, 10:22 AM
The reason I feel so confident about NewTek is due to my experiences on this forum. Thank you both for taking time with my primary questions. You have cleared up a lot already (and it's only the second day with my new Toaster!

Sierra

Paul Lara
04-19-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by sierra
You have cleared up a lot already (and it's only the second day with my new Toaster!

Sierra

Welcome aboard, and you now know where to turn when you have any questions!

sierra
04-19-2003, 04:03 PM
Well, Paul, when I read your nice note, I thought I wouldn't probably have any more questions at least for today. BUT then DOOMSDAY DESCENDED UPON ME! I don't really think my disaster can be addressed here and I sent an e-mail to the technical people at NewTek. (I doubt they will be picking up their e-mail till Monday.)

But of course this is a holiday weekend and our computer store is closed and I hate to wait til Monday and just in case anyone knows anything about this, here goes...

I was trying to follow the "walk-throughs" at the end of the manual chapters but could not find any of the content files required to follow the steps.

The chapter on CG asks that I load up a jpg called CG-2PalmsInSilhouette from a content file. The content file I found has only one folder in it called "additional cg" and there is no such jpg in it.

Then I tried to do the "walk-through" for the Switcher on page 7.5. It asks me to load an rtv called DogcU2. Which does not exist either. There is no VT content folder with such an image. After a careful perusal in Windows Explorer, we (by now I have begged my husband to come and help) did a search in Explorer this time for both images. Do not exist.

So we reasoned, perhaps the computer technician who put together our computer didn't install everything from the Video Toaster installation disk. So we put it in and tried to do a Modify Installation to see if the content folder would be added. Well, well well, it's almost all we can say. (When we aren't banging our heads against the wall.)

Even though it was set for Modify, the installation program deleted VT completely. Then we tried to re-install VT. We got a message it couldn't remove all the drivers. (So we guess it wasn't so completely after all.) And the Setup Wizard would not finish or shut down properly.

So we tried de-installing it in order to start clean and we got Failure to Remove Registry Key for VTCAPAUD.dll, for Mixer1, for Wave1, for VTCAPVID.dll, for MSVIDEO, unable to remove VideoToaster2 installation folder. And once again, the installation wizard would not shut down properly.

Finally and in desperation we tried to re-install VT and got error 00000103. And Windows crashed in several different ways and VT wouldn't start up anyway.

Now we are re-installing windows because it is so screwed up. Windows has been cranking away for over an hour trying to "detect and install devices" on my computer. It is half-way through that process and hasn't moved for an hour. At one point it asked for a VT driver that we could not access with the VT Installation disk.

Besides the lost content folder (which I still wonder about), is there any way to get out of this besides taking the computer back to the technician and having him wipe the hard drive clean and starting all over? Anyone? Sierra

Jim Capillo
04-19-2003, 05:43 PM
The easiest way to remedy that problem probably would've been to do a regedit and simply remove all of the Newtek folders. Are you familiar with that command? If not, be careful - you can do a lot of bad things in there. Now that you're wiping the drive and starting over...... :(

The chromakey dog and other things are available somewhere on the Newtek site. They're BIG files, though. Go here: http://www.newtek.com/products/videotoaster/downloads/index.html

Hang in there - once you get up and running, you'll love T[2]/[3]

SBowie
04-19-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by sierra

Now we are re-installing windows because it is so screwed up. Windows has been cranking away for over an hour trying to "detect and install devices" on my computer. It is half-way through that process and hasn't moved for an hour. At one point it asked for a VT driver that we could not access with the VT Installation disk.

Besides the lost content folder (which I still wonder about), is there any way to get out of this besides taking the computer back to the technician and having him wipe the hard drive clean and starting all over? Anyone? Sierra Without getting into a lot of detail, if you have already started re-installing Windows, even just as a "Repair" installation, you've also already committed to doing a full re-installation of the T[2] software. Don't worry about the request for the driver, that was just windows noticing the Toaster card during its installation process and not quite knowing what to do about it.

The good news is, you really haven't damaged anything, and apart from time lost, assuming you didn't have any important data on the System drive or in your VT directory, you haven't likely lost anything critical. The Toaster projects are stored in that folder by default, but it sounds like you're still in the learning stages anyways and likely wouldn't have had anything substantial done yet (I hope!)

The downside is that there are a lot of little tweaks involved in setting a Toaster system up for optimal performance, and unless you're pretty proficient you're likely best served by simply letting the tech who did it once do so again.

Oh, and the content you were looking for may well not have been part of your installation, but were (at one time at least) on the Content (not Program) CD's.

sierra
04-21-2003, 07:54 PM
We are back!

Our computer technician had made a "mirror" of our hard drive which he keeps for his customers for 30 days in case anything goes wrong. It took him all of 45 minutes to copy the Mirror to our hapless computer and send us home again with VT2 working fine. He didn't even charge us for this service. (Although next time he will.)

So we dodged a bullet and I'm back thrashing around in the "walk-throughs", supplying my own jpgs, wise enough not to try to find anything on the install disk ever again!!!

I just wanted to thank each and every one of you for taking a moment for a word of encouragement on a bleak holiday in the twilight zone. You're right, Steve, we only lost some time, which proved to be just another part of the learning process. When the penny drops, I always feel so silly that I didn't see the answer earlier. C'est la vie! What a challenge.

Thanks to you all again, Sierra.

bbeanan
04-21-2003, 08:10 PM
You should ask the tech for a restore CD or DVD for your system. I have had to use mine twice so far when I was learning what I could mess with.

johnq
04-21-2003, 11:18 PM
Sierra:

Immediately buy either Ghost or DriveImage so you can make your own mirror images. Learn how to restore your system on your own. After installing any new software, once you have determined that everything is working OK, make a mirror of at least your boot drive and preferrably your program drive too. Doing this has saved me many hours of reinstalling individual programs, drivers, etc.

Welcome to the aliens that inhabit the NewTek and VT worlds.

john

michaelsoft
04-22-2003, 12:08 AM
sierra,
it's quite funny to see someone describe the exact same problems i had just yesterday. i'm just a high school student who happened to win a video toaster a few days ago for an animation he did, so i can't afford any high end systems, but i installed vt just fine at first. then i was curious to see if lightwave express had anything to offer that my full lightwave didn't (like fxmonkey). so i modified the installation and added lightwave. it proceded to uninstall vt completely and i went through all the steps you went through, and even went through regedit and deleted every reference to newtek, lightwave, or video toaster. still nothing. if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, i'd gladly join the list of people in need of solutions. right now i've got vt installed on my dad's computer, which is significantly nicer than mine anyway, but i'd like to be able to take it places without my dad yelling at me to give it back :)

sierra
04-22-2003, 12:38 PM
John and bbeanan:

My husband agrees we should get whatever takes to make our own mirror backup. Thanks for the advice. It helps give confirm our next steps.

Michael, first of all, congratulations on winning the VT!! I bet your animation is terrific. I wish I could help you, but obviously I'm as green as you are. (well, a 45 year different shade of green). But even at age 60, I'm clicking along here learning in what I need to get my stuff out. Just think how many creative years you have ahead of you to keep on truckin'. Wow!

Sierra

RomainR
04-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Micheal,

Just uninstall your Toaster software completely and Full LightWave as well.

Then install the Toaster. Make sure it's all working just fine.

Then install your Full LightWave. It shouldn't unistall any component of the Toaster.

Before using the Full version of LightWave I strongly recommend that you riderect the config files of the Full LightWave. That will avoid you many head ache in the future.

I'd gladly help you out with some of the steps if you have a hard time.

you can e-mail me or call
[email protected] 450-466-0777