PDA

View Full Version : band saw, dents?

nour
03-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Hey guys,

This my first post here, so if this question was answered before, then please direct me with a link to the answer.

I have problem , which is after using band saw to create a sharp edge , I get dents in the remaining part of the geometry (along the band saw) , I try to tweak a few points here and there but it only seems to move the problem somewhere else.

How can I eliminates those dents to have smooth surface.

Thanks

Mylenium
03-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Hey guys,

This my first post here, so if this question was answered before, then please direct me with a link to the answer.

I have problem , which is after using band saw to create a sharp edge , I get dents in the remaining part of the geometry (along the band saw) , I try to tweak a few points here and there but it only seems to move the problem somewhere else.

How can I eliminates those dents to have smooth surface.

Thanks

It's not quite clear, but I'd guess you are simply refering to "bad" edges where patches with different flow directions or triangles come together. There is no way way to eliminate those, it's an inherent weaknesss in LW's subpatches (or most other SDS algorithms for that matter). You could only try to use the "Spin Quad" command to minimize some of it. Also look for bad geometry such as unmerged points and 2-point polys, they also cause unwanted pinching.

Mylenium

hrgiger
03-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Could we see a screenshot of the areas you're talking about?

Bandsaw works across continuous 4 point polygons (quads) so make sure that's what you're trying to cut.

Another thing to keep in mind is that bandsaw can and will alter the shape of your geometry by more tightly controlling the curvature of the subpatch model. Say for instance you have a curved fender on a car. Bandsawing in a line will probably alter the shape of the fender and put a 'crease' along the newly cut line. You have to manually adjust this so that it follows the contour that you wish it to.

nour
03-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Bandsawing in a line will probably alter the shape of the fender and put a 'crease' along the newly cut line. You have to manually adjust this so that it follows the contour that you wish it to.

yes that i meant.

anyway...thankx guys, you have answered my question... :)

it seems no way bu to adjust it point by point.....ahhhh

Lewis
03-12-2005, 02:07 PM
yes that i meant.

anyway...thankx guys, you have answered my question... :)

it seems no way bu to adjust it point by point.....ahhhh

Hm by your answer I'm geting idea that you aren't using bandsaw for it's original purpose maybe ? Can you show us screen grab with idea what you are trying ? It might give us better idea how and what to sue. I use bandsaw on everyday basis and it works as planed :).

cheers

nour
03-12-2005, 04:03 PM
thankx

i'm having the same problem as

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=17083&highlight=bandsaw

and i don't see the hiding tech is working, the sub still have problems

Lewis
03-13-2005, 03:57 PM
thankx

i'm having the same problem as

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=17083&highlight=bandsaw

and i don't see the hiding tech is working, the sub still have problems

Hmm as you can see i did answere there also and HIDE or flip polyogns wrks only for stoping bandsaw to go all around complete row of polys. If you are doing EXACT same car and having same issue i can explain but if you are working on different area i'd prefer to explain on your example instead explaining it twice since oyu obviously aren't very frinedly wiht bandsaw tool (in LW 8 you can use CUT tool with properly selected polys instead hiding/fliping on bandsaw to stop it go all around). But in short you can always cut only those 2-3 EDGE polygons and make TRIANGLE at end with welding on epoint. Works pretty fine on my cars (so far i'm working on 55th car model in LW).

show me what is the problem or better upload model (or just that polygon area what is giving you problems) and i'll remodel it so you will be able to study real model.

cheers