PDA

View Full Version : float my boat

KillMe
03-11-2005, 03:35 AM
need help with a problem - i'm trying to sail a small open boat through a storm - anyway my problem is this the ocean is a flat sub devided plane so it penetrates the boats hull which leaves it full of water

i cant think of a way to get rid of the water and still have it look liek the boat is floating on the water =/

little screenshot of the problem since i'm not very eleoquent

Captain Obvious
03-11-2005, 03:40 AM
Feature request: nondestructive booleans in Layout! ;)

Lightwolf
03-11-2005, 04:22 AM
Well, you could try a couple of effectors parented to the boat that push the water down underneath the boat...
Or us an image mask derived from the boats outline on top of the displacement map.

Then again, since the hull of your ship so thin, both of these probably won't work.

I guess you'll have to cleverly render in passes. Create a copy of the boat and close the top in modeler, let's call this matte boat.

Render the ocean with the matte boat. Set the matte boat as a matte object in the object properties and set the alpha to black. If you need the reflection of the boat on the water, add the boat to the scene and set it to unseen by camera (the matte boat should be unseen by rays).

In a second scene render just the boat.

Now compose both together in an app of your choice, using the alpha generated in the ocean/matte boat pass.

Cheers,
Mike

byte_fx
03-11-2005, 06:29 AM
Two words: clip map.

byte_fx

Lightwolf
03-11-2005, 06:45 AM
Two words: clip map.

Basically yes, but not accurate if you have varying ripples at the side of the boat...

Cheers,
Mike

byte_fx
03-11-2005, 06:49 AM
Parent the clip nap to the boat tp affect the water. Animate the size as needed.

byte_fx

Para
03-11-2005, 08:10 AM
Feature request: nondestructive booleans in Layout! ;)

You mean something like Ray Goes Through Once (http://www.flay.com/getnewsdetail.cfm?ID=878)? :)

KillMe
03-11-2005, 09:25 AM
thanks lightwolf

there was me hoping for a simple solution but i guess compositing it is the only answer as i figured it might be =/ never quite got aroudn to learning much about it guess this is an opertunity to learn - your help should be invaluble though

Lightwolf
03-11-2005, 09:28 AM
thanks lightwolf

there was me hoping for a simple solution but i guess compositing it is the only answer as i figured it might be =/ never quite got aroudn to learning much about it guess this is an opertunity to learn - your help should be invaluble though
Well, this is quite an easy shot and a good start to learn about those little tricks. And you will come to apreciate it sooner or later.

I'm glad to see it helped you.

Cheers,
Mike

wacom
03-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Why wouldn't just projecting the clip map down onto the water surface and having it parented to the boat work? The inside of the hull is smaller than the outside...I guess it depends on how much you're moving the boat up and down in the water etc.

lesford
03-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Actually, compositing it IS the simple solution. And if you want to repaint the boat later, you don't have to re-render the water. You don't even have to re-render the boat.

KillMe
03-11-2005, 09:42 AM
it gonna be sailing through a fairly major storm so its gonna be all over the place

little boat big waves
this is a test i did a while back for the stormy ocean

KillMe
03-11-2005, 09:46 AM
just while i'm on the subject for the compositing when i create the capped top boat its just the hull i'll need for that i wont need all the masts and rigging and sails in that pass will i?

wacom
03-11-2005, 09:52 AM
just while i'm on the subject for the compositing when i create the capped top boat its just the hull i'll need for that i wont need all the masts and rigging and sails in that pass will i?

You shouldn't. But that depends on what objects will be masking eachother at different points. When you go to comp it might make things slightly harder if you have them in seperate layers- at least by the looks of your high seas! At least in MHO.

If you're having trouble visulizing it you could always render out the scene in quick shade and then look for the number of layer changes/masks you might have to make. I could be real simple...but...

Lightwolf
03-11-2005, 12:16 PM
Why wouldn't just projecting the clip map down onto the water surface and having it parented to the boat work? The inside of the hull is smaller than the outside...I guess it depends on how much you're moving the boat up and down in the water etc.
It could work, but it would be quite tricky to set-up.

BTW, Killme: Nice stormy ocean ... very nice actually!

Cheers,
Mike

KillMe
03-11-2005, 02:33 PM
thanks but i cant take all the credit - the little surface froth that looks like its being blown by the wind and teh sormy atmosphere and rain effects i got from a tutorial somewhere and without them it looks medicore

Captain Obvious
03-11-2005, 06:10 PM
You mean something like Ray Goes Through Once (http://www.flay.com/getnewsdetail.cfm?ID=878)? :)
Great. Now it just needs a Mac version. ;)

KillMe
03-12-2005, 01:46 AM
that plugin certainly is the a simple effective solution but can someone confirm that it dies when used on a object that has a procedural displacement map applied?

thought i might get away without compositing after all but unless i'm doing somethign wrong this isn't gonna work

gilbert
03-14-2005, 07:01 PM
this will do exactly that. good luck
use the sample scene and hit F9

KillMe
03-15-2005, 12:57 AM
thanks thats great and a nice system for controling the boat movement too

munky
03-16-2005, 06:30 AM
Hi there,

this shader might be what you want as well.

http://www.shift.gr.jp/html/staff/plugin.html

regards

paul