PDA

View Full Version : New Short Film

paulmcg1
03-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey everyone, I wanted to let everyone know that Im starting on a new short. Basically it'll be under 30 seconds and Im gonna be trying to keep it as funny as possible. Heres a rough outline of whats going to happen and (try to picture it in your mind as funny as it could be :P),

1: Scissors walk onto screen curious to know what the light in the center is.
2: Scissors end up in the center of the light.
3: Rock falls from sky, smashing the scissors.
4: paper floats down.
5: Logo, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/paulmcg1/rps_logo01.png
pops up on screen.

So far I have modeled the rock, paper and scissors. And everything is pretty much done except rigging the scissors and animating of course. I am really having trouble rigging scissors good enough to actually be able to make them COME ALIVE. I was thinking a simple IK system would work but then I rememered, "I dont know how to set one up on a pair of scissors". Could someone explain how they would rig scissors to make them come alive and to give them some personality. Almost like the lamp in Pixar's logo, except, scissors :).

By the way, here are the 4 storyboards of how it'll take place,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/paulmcg1/storyboard01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/paulmcg1/storyboard02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/paulmcg1/storyboard03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/paulmcg1/storyboard04.jpg

Cheers,
Paul

paulmcg1
03-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Anyone? Please....

Silkrooster
03-10-2005, 09:42 PM
I have to admit, that is the first time I have seen anyone try to make that game into an animation. Actually, It is making me think of the spy vs. spy commercials here in NY.
I think for the scissors, split them with each half into separate layers, place the pivot point where they meet, just like the real deal. Then you could add a couple of bones, the the top of one half, to make the finger guard bend like it was the head of a character.
Well thats one idea, I am sure others will follow. Just give them time to answer. I would like to see how this progresses. I think it will be cool, when you finish it.
Silk

paulmcg1
03-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Thank you for your reply Silkrooster, you dont know how much I appreciate it ;) . Yea I couldn't ever remember seeing anyone ever do that game into a funny little animation, so I thought of it and it worked well in my head :p . Like you said, " Then you could add a couple of bones, the the top of one half, to make the finger guard bend like it was the head of a character." that is how I want to do it. I can think of already how the character would look, but its really hard setting up the IK. I have no problem placing the bones that would be there. But then when I try to go set up an IK system, its really hard. But Im gonna keep trying and we'll see :). Thanks again for your reply Silkrooster.

Paul

ericsmith
03-10-2005, 09:58 PM
One approach you could take would be to treat the point where the scissors pivots as a waist. Then you've basically got two legs and two arms. I would also make everything bendy. It wouldn't be realistic, but it would make the scissors more character like.

Eric

Silkrooster
03-10-2005, 10:07 PM
If you were to create just a bendable head, It should beable to be done with two bones. One for the body and one for the head. Use weight map to make sure everything bends is one map and the rest is another map. Then you can apply the head bone to the head map, etc.
Technically I beleive you can do with out maps, but this would help if your having problems. Another thing, make sure you set the rest postion of the bones, before you activate them.
And that is about all I can tell you about bones. There are a lot of others on this board, much more experienced than myself when it come to adding bones.
Good Luck
Silk

paulmcg1
03-10-2005, 10:20 PM
One approach you could take would be to treat the point where the scissors pivots as a waist. Then you've basically got two legs and two arms. I would also make everything bendy. It wouldn't be realistic, but it would make the scissors more character like.

Eric

Thanks Eric. I definately dont want them to be realistic and that wasn't ever what I had in mind cause too me that just wouldnt be very funny and the scissors wouldn't be very unique, they wouldn't have that much character. I understand how to place the bones. Like here is my most successful way of placing them thus yet.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/paulmcg1/7f86e39b.jpg
but just think how that animates if each piece is on a sepereate layer....so 2 layers. Then with that bone setup. It dosn't look pretty without IK.

Paul

paulmcg1
03-10-2005, 10:25 PM
If you were to create just a bendable head, It should beable to be done with two bones. One for the body and one for the head. Use weight map to make sure everything bends is one map and the rest is another map. Then you can apply the head bone to the head map, etc.
Technically I beleive you can do with out maps, but this would help if your having problems. Another thing, make sure you set the rest postion of the bones, before you activate them.
And that is about all I can tell you about bones. There are a lot of others on this board, much more experienced than myself when it come to adding bones.
Good Luck
Silk

For the rig on the scissors I want it to be able to bend sorta like a knee about 75% down the "blade part" to act as a knee. Also I want the head like you said and then I want the hips which would be the pivot point where the scissors come together. And could you explain weight maps a little more as im fairly new to them. Thanks a billion Silkrooster.

Paul

Silkrooster
03-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Well, let see, Weight maps are applied to the points of the object. So if you want the head as a single map. You would click on the w button in the lower righthand part of your screen, if it is not already selected. Then in the drop down box next to those buttons, select new. Give the map a name and a value if you wish.
Probably a value of 0 to start. Then you can use a tool like airbrush to paint the map. At the top of each window is a place where you can select the shading of the window, select that and then you can select weight map. You can then use that window to see how your map looks.
You change the value of the airbrush in the numeric panel. A value of 100 will be full strength and 0 is no strength when the bone trys to bend the object.
Just repeat this process for each bone. Once your in layout, convert skelegons to bones, if you created them in modeler, or start the bone creation process :D
In the properties panel for the bones, set the bone to the correct map.
Well I hope I did not leave anything out. If I did I know someone will correct me.
One thing your going to learn is there is more than one way to do everything in Lightwave. So have fun and enjoy.
Silk

byte_fx
03-11-2005, 06:46 AM
I envision the finger holes as eyes on stalks - able to bend and twist so they can look at each other - or an object from two sides. One might even try to see 'under' the spot on the floor.

As for the mechanics of doing this - there are several ways. Often the best solution involves blending bones, weight maps, curve conform and/or other LW features.

byte_fx

paulmcg1
03-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Wow, thanks silk for that great explanation. Byte_fx, thats exactly how I envision them too :) just hope soon you will be able to see them in action like that :).

paulmcg1
03-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that I have changed the idea from scissors to a peanut :). Simply because It was taking me longer then I expected to rig the **** scissors so I thought a peanut would be pretty funny. I also have done a first pass of animation and I wanted to let everyone take a look and let me know how I could improve it :). Here it is: www.paulmcgrade.com/peanut_test01.mpg

Thanks, Paul

Silkrooster
03-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Oh, the anticipation. :D Hmmm. Rock, peanut, paper . Different. Now what do you have in mind for a character, like Mr. Peanut, or some thing more comical.
I do like the animation though, keep it up.
Silk

paulmcg1
03-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Oh, the anticipation. :D Hmmm. Rock, peanut, paper . Different. Now what do you have in mind for a character, like Mr. Peanut, or some thing more comical.
I do like the animation though, keep it up.
Silk

Rofl! :D Rock, peanut, paper....lol that is funny. Well, I really dont know now the kinda character I want for the peanut all I know is that its suppose to look curious when its coming towards the center light. Its suppose to wonder what it is. But my animation dosnt portray that at least. I dont know how to even get it to portray that :( . When it comes close to light in that sample animation, its suppose to be skidding to the center to stop. But It sure as heck dosn't look like it :(. Im bout to just give up on this thing and just start on something simplier like bouncing a ball for the 100th time. Or maybe a plane flying by? IDK :( .

I see that it does need anticipation but I wouldn't know how to make this have anticipation heh. Im not real good at seeing the places where it needs it. Im doomed heh? Thanks for the reply Silkrooster

Paul

Silkrooster
03-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Remember in the animated world things need to be exaggerated to show effect. For example the peanut could come to a skidding stop, show smoke roll from underneath it to show a skid and maybe some skid marks. You could even go further by making the peanut jump back showing he was frightened. Then let him sneak up to the circle.
Silk