PDA

View Full Version : OT: iPod not recognised by Firewire port ...

Matt
03-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi all

I know this is off-topic, but I know how many technical minds we have hanging around these forums, and you might be able to suggest something!

:)

I have a Coolermaster PC with Firewire / USB ports on the back and some more on a flying lead from the motherboard to the top of the casing to allow easier access.

My iPod works fine on all the Firewire / USB ports at the back of the computer (ones directly mounted to the motherboard) but will only work on the USB ports on the top. I just cannot make the computer (or iTunes) recognise the iPod when using the top Firewire port.

It _seems_ to be drawing power from the port as the iPod battery symbol comes to life when I plug it in, although I've not drained the iPod completely to see if charging actually takes place. But it doesn't change the iPod screen to the 'do not disconnect' screen that should appear.

I have the latest iPod firmware, plus a patch from Microsoft that is supposed to fix problems with Firewire devices after SP2 has been installed, I know the cable is fine as it works with the other port at the rear (and my computer at work).

The shop where I bought the computer from sent me a replacement flying-lead board to try, but this has exactly the same problems.

Anything else I can try? Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's a pain having to fish around the back of the computer when I have a Firewire port within easy reach that _should_ work.

Also, not sure if it helps, but in the Device Manager I only see one IEEE 1384 Bus Controller for Firewire, should I see two, or is that one bus controlling both? Either way Device Manager reports no problems with the one that is there.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers
Matt

Sastira
03-10-2005, 03:38 PM
I suggest you try another device on the top port and see what happens, then give us an update.

Matt
03-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Would love to but I don't own any other Firewire devices and nor do my friends! But you're right, if something else doesn't work then I know it's the port.

Oh, tried a BIOS update on the mobo too, no joy :(

Sastira
03-10-2005, 05:30 PM
If you can *possibly* find another firewire device to test it, that would be best.

But... I just checked my network connections list, and I have *two* firewire entries in there, not just one. And I have two firewire ports. Try checking in the network connections (right click my network places and hit properties) and see if you have two firewire ports in there. My situation may be unique, as one of my ports is on my external sound blaster audigy 2 module.

If there is not two firewire entries in the network connections area, perhaps you could try running the add new hardware wizard and see if anything is detected. If that doesn't work, try deleting the current firewire device from device manager, and rebooting. Maybe you can force windows to recognize it.

Silkrooster
03-10-2005, 06:13 PM
In the device manager your only going to see one listed, unless you have more than one board installed. In the network connections, you may see two listed if more than one device is plug in. Look on the card for a jumper, if there is one the internal connection maybe off. Double check the cable from the card to the front of your computer, it may be plugged in partially, or reversed(guessing here as the cable should only plug in one way). I am lead to beleive the cable is no good unless there is a jumper.
Silk