PDA

View Full Version : Using Lightwave for game programming

Sad Penguin
03-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi, I just got Lightwave a little while ago, and it's working out great. I was wondering if there were any tips/sites/things to do to get into the C++/lightwave groove... Such as file format descriptions or already made importers (I'm using OpenGL, by the way... And they would have to support animation!)

I'm currently working on this game not-for-profit, so any ideas/suggestions would be great! I'm going to keep fooling around, but if someone could put me on the right path I would be very thankful.

Vincenzo
03-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi;

What one needs to do is parse the LW Scene and Object files to get the model and animation information. One could then create a class that would use this information to render the model at a given time. I think NT provides a parser for the LW Object files with the LW SDK, but you would also neeed to parse the Scene files to get animation info. Since LW exports to OBJ and 3ds formats you could just export to those if you have a parser for those formats. There was a guys selling a converter from LW to .X files, but since you are not using DirectX you could not use it well.

Vincenzo

Dodgy
03-10-2005, 03:28 AM
The SDK comes with LW which has all the information you need, and examples to get you started.