PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Adds Jay Roth and Mark Granger to LightWave Team

Kurtis
03-09-2005, 08:54 AM
NewTek is pleased to announce that Jay Roth and Mark Granger, Co-Founders of Electric Image, Inc., have joined NewTek's LightWave 3DŽ Team. Roth brings 25 years experience in the 3D visual effects and graphics industry to the role of V.P. 3D Product Management. Granger, the technical visionary behind their leading professional 3D animation system, has signed on with the LightWaveŽ development team to improve and advance the capabilities of NewTek's award-winning 3D product.

The complete text of these press releases can be found at:
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/03-09-05a.html
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/03-09-05b.html

UnCommonGrafx
03-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Surreal.

We be big time, now! err, We is bigger time now!

New eyes; new methods; new paradigms.

Can I have a job? Now would be THE time to be at NewTek.

Mylenium
03-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Surreal.

We be big time, now! err, We is bigger time now!

New eyes; new methods; new paradigms.

Can I have a job? Now would be THE time to be at NewTek.

Guess it depends very much on your personal POV. EI didn't have much luck with their last two releases and are living much on their merits of the past - just as LW. So I'm feeling a bit ambiguous abou this to say the least.

Mylenium

UnCommonGrafx
03-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Cautious optimism is always best, of course.

However, I see this as amazing because it's one of the few times they've brought in people from other companies.

The future isn't guaranteed, of course. But there is Light in the past that shines on the future. As has always been the case, it's us, the community, that has made it as much as it is. So it's OUR reputations as much as theirs. ;)

Go over to CGTalk and look at what the community is providing in low cost (read: FREE), high quality plugins. And please, don't diss them by terming them with the deragatory of, "but they are just that, plugins, from third parties". That's the architecture; that's the brilliance of members in and around our community.

Not trying to dampen your skepticism, just sharing my thoughts.

barnabythebear
03-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Hi Mylenium,

No, this is great news! For years EI camera has delivered the results. It's really is top draw technology. The problem's with EI stem from a company with a great product but no will/finance to push it forward. I have the latest version and it's incredible - in fact i find it much more pleasent to use than LW.

nige :)

ted
03-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Electric Image was our first 3D application.
New blood is often a good thing. Adding staff is also usually a good sign.
I wish Jay and Mark all the best.

trick
03-09-2005, 10:33 AM
I don't care what this means: give them a big welcome and a comfortable chair.

Maya has it's roots in Explore3D, Alias and Wavefront. Since EI once was a very big player, it's good to gain some outside perspectives...

caesar
03-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Wo, LW 9 will rock the house!!!

wacom
03-09-2005, 08:48 PM
I find a lot of symbolism in this image...

Rory_L
03-09-2005, 09:45 PM
You can lead a horse to water, but you can`t make it beat the stick. No, wait, that`s not right...er? :confused:

Mylenium
03-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Hi Mylenium,

No, this is great news! For years EI camera has delivered the results. It's really is top draw technology. The problem's with EI stem from a company with a great product but no will/finance to push it forward. I have the latest version and it's incredible - in fact i find it much more pleasent to use than LW.

nige :)

Please forgive my saying so, but technology is not everything. Lately I see a lot of posts like "integrate plugin X", "make this like in app Y" and such things as Roberto Ortiz "Stealing features..." (We really dislikes him for that feeblish nonsense attempt...) and all those are simply missing the point: Unified workflow and a smooth pipeline. I think that is the one thing that EI hasn't achieved, either. They never were able to turn it into one cohesive package and are still clinging to some rather strange approaches. And all those troubles about which modeling app to use/ combine/ sell with EI didn't help them much as well.

You know, there are several apps out there that far preceed many other apps, but they keep so a low profile and thus have such a small user base, that nobody ever takes notice of them. Just lately I was surprised to find out that someone really used Realsoft 3D for serious advertising/ film work and yes, I remembered - they have one of the best renderers that can render Spline/NURBS patches and SDS surfaces without tesselating them (translating them to polygons) and their SDS implementation is quite nice - support for n-gons, weights and it's fast. But does anybody ever care? nope. If you look around in the professional, it is as though it doesn't even exist. All quiet on the western front.

Don't get me wrong: I, too, hope that some creative infusion from outsiders might bring LW back on track, but at the moment my faith in such matters is very limited. Also their is a time frame to everything and anything and that is what troubles me most. Even if those guys are code/technology gods, they need time to get into LW's SDK.

Mylenium

tischbein3
03-10-2005, 01:32 AM
Don't get me wrong: I, too, hope that some creative infusion from outsiders might bring LW back on track, but at the moment my faith in such matters is very limited. Also their is a time frame to everything and anything and that is what troubles me most. Even if those guys are code/technology gods, they need time to get into LW's SDK.

Mylenium

Well "getting into the sdk" is no problem at all, (There are a lot more difficult out there)... "getting something out" is the problem. :)

Well Mylenium, especially you should retake a close look at their profile description, and should really welcome this...
It's not the time for pessimism.

Welcome "in family", Jay and Mark !

Roundpixel
03-10-2005, 01:55 AM
I´m really happy to see this happening.
Both Mark and Jay have been in the industry at least for as long as Allen and Stuart have, and their developments have always been top notch.
You need to see the antialias in Camera and its rendering speed to realize what we´ve got. :D
I really hope to see improvements in LW rendering speed, not to mention that a MrNitro port would be a welcome addition.

Seeing also the really great job the new programming staff is already doing, i only see a golden path now that Mark and Jay are onboard.

JC

Bytehawk
03-10-2005, 05:39 AM
[de niro voice]

Welcome to the fam'ly

[/de niro voice]

caesar
03-10-2005, 12:34 PM
I find a lot of symbolism in this image...

?????????????

ackees
03-12-2005, 03:27 PM
I´m really happy to see this happening.
Both Mark and Jay have been in the industry at least for as long as Allen and Stuart have, and their developments have always been top notch.
You need to see the antialias in Camera and its rendering speed to realize what we´ve got. :D
I really hope to see improvements in LW rendering speed, not to mention that a MrNitro port would be a welcome addition.

Seeing also the really great job the new programming staff is already doing, i only see a golden path now that Mark and Jay are onboard.

JC
Me too, speed, speed, speed.
By the way, whay did EI die?