PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Adds Jay Roth and Mark Granger to LightWave Team

Kurtis
03-09-2005, 08:53 AM
NewTek is pleased to announce that Jay Roth and Mark Granger, Co-Founders of Electric Image, Inc., have joined NewTek's LightWave 3DŽ Team. Roth brings 25 years experience in the 3D visual effects and graphics industry to the role of V.P. 3D Product Management. Granger, the technical visionary behind their leading professional 3D animation system, has signed on with the LightWaveŽ development team to improve and advance the capabilities of NewTek's award-winning 3D product.

The complete text of these press releases can be found at:
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/03-09-05a.html
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/03-09-05b.html

thinkcl
03-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Awesome - glad to see Newtek is aggressive in hiring the talent and vision needed to push LW forward into the future.

mattclary
03-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Let me be the first to just say, "Wow". That sounds pretty freaking cool. :cool:

Kvaalen
03-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Sounds great to me!
I wish them both the best of luck and I'm eager to see what the LW team will now come up with! :)

Nemoid
03-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Cool!! :cool: great news for sure.

congrats , Nt !! :)

-EsHrA-
03-09-2005, 10:25 AM
very nice, hope you Jay and Mark have a good time ! :)

ooh...and plz do use the forum, dont be frightened by it !! :p

mlon

Wade
03-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Then I did feel the earth shake after all.

Lewis
03-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Excellent news guys :).

Congrats to NT and welcome to LW community for Jay and Mark.

I "smell" new render engine in Lw 8.x , 9 ;).

cheers

mattclary
03-09-2005, 11:07 AM
Can you SMELLLLLLLLLLL what Netwek is cookin'!!!??? :D

Ztreem
03-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Great news! This is geting better and better all the time. :D
It's exciting times...

Lewis
03-09-2005, 11:32 AM

OFCOURSE :). Can't you too ;)?

richcz3
03-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Granger+Worley= Rendergasm
Imagine the possibilities :D

amiga2091
03-09-2005, 11:36 AM

Hey! You can't go stealing catch phrases from the Rock now! :eek:

Matt
03-09-2005, 11:39 AM
This is AWESOME news, Electric Image's renderer ('Camera') was (maybe still is) one of the fastest renderers ever written, it was awesome at handling VERY large poly counts with ease!

They will undoubtedly bring a new outlook to the team.

This promises to be a VERY interesting year I think! I just can't wait!

Oh, and welcome to the team Jay and Mark! :)

Tiger
03-09-2005, 11:42 AM
A new Era has just begunn!!
I can feel it Everywhere :)

resbot
03-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Feels like they are 3d software rockstars. I cannot wait to see the results of their contributions!

ingo
03-09-2005, 12:30 PM
This is AWESOME news, Electric Image's renderer ('Camera') was (maybe still is) one of the fastest renderers ever written, it was awesome at handling VERY large poly counts with ease!....

Well it was one of the fastest renderer... thats the reason why i switched a few years ago to Lightwave, it can handle the same amount of very high polygonecounts and renders faster; the only advantage of EIU is the excellent antialiasing and memory management. But maybe we now can see that in the future in LW too.

But thats indeed great news to see Mark working at Newtek, so can i ask in this forum now Electric Image questions too ? ;)

StereoMike
03-09-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm so exited!
Great news, I hope we'll see some magic in LW 8.xx

Welcome to Jay and Mark!

:)

JML
03-09-2005, 01:12 PM
it's great news ! , I can't wait to see what the new features are going to be in LW

Para
03-09-2005, 01:28 PM
it's great news ! , I can't wait to see what the new features are going to be in LW

I don't know about you but I'd like to see all of 'em! :D

Chris S. (Fez)
03-09-2005, 01:34 PM
"I hope we'll see some magic in LW 8.xx"

They just joined the team. It is going to take em a while to become familiar with the code. I don't think we will see Jay and Mark's contributions until LW 9.

3DBob
03-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Jay & Mark welcome to the team - good work NT.

3Bob

m_luscombe
03-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Not to intentionally be an ***, but aren't these both management additions?

I have a hard time getting excited about new managers/vp's. Maybe it's just me ;)

And along those same lines, Electric Image hasn't exactly been the apex of technological achievement or even good management for quite some time :(

03-09-2005, 05:50 PM
... not to mention that it will be AWHILE before you see any major improvement to the software itself as a direct result of their joining the team - if that even happens. It's great to see Newtek beefing up it's staff, but really, what other software creators make press releases about this stuff? It's not something the average user even knows or cares about. I'll find all of this much more exciting when I see some decent updates, and if those happen to be related I'll even throw in a cheer... or two.

Snosrap
03-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Where does this leave Peter Jespersen? Is he still the 3D Product Manager reporting to Jay Roth? I hope that's the case, from what I've seen it looks like he's done a terrific job! Look's like good times are ahead, if nothing else LW has one less competitor.

Cheers
Snos

wacom
03-09-2005, 08:24 PM
And along those same lines, Electric Image hasn't exactly been the apex of technological achievement or even good management for quite some time :(

That's the point! They were there when it was the apex and was managed well. They were a major reason WHY it was.

wacom
03-09-2005, 08:29 PM
... not to mention that it will be AWHILE before you see any major improvement to the software itself as a direct result of their joining the team - if that even happens. It's great to see Newtek beefing up it's staff, but really, what other software creators make press releases about this stuff? It's not something the average user even knows or cares about. I'll find all of this much more exciting when I see some decent updates, and if those happen to be related I'll even throw in a cheer... or two.

So do you just think NewTek could hire any code monkey off the street and get these"updates" you want? Besides, I just don't want "updates" I want innovation. You have to keep your eye fixed past the next point release unless you plan on learning a new program every six months to a year.

What these guys bring means going beyond just "fixing" it. They are the kind of people that put the NEW in NewTek.

philthorn
03-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Well said Wacom!

Welcome aboard Mark and Jay!

WizCraker
03-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Congrats on the new adition maybe it will kickstart LW to be an Inovative Leader instead of a Follower.

Besides, I just don't want "updates" I want innovation.

Something we haven't seen from Newtek since version 6.

Since then it has been more like playing catch up with the competion. LW never seems to get any inovation anymore, missing features that are pretty much standard in other apps...

But that is for another thread to discuss.

CB_3D
03-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Since then it has been more like playing catch up with the competion. LW never seems to get any inovation anymore, missing features that are pretty much standard in other apps...

For example? Apart from real edges and a completely open renderer to support 3rd party rendering i can´t think of too many "missing features",how you call it.

Sorry, i don´t mean to sound agressive,but this kind of post is annoying.

LW is a leader in television fx, and has been breaking into games and movies with quite some success,also.

(hey Chuck,i´m doing your job here,LOL)

Snosrap
03-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Just Googled Mark Granger and came up with this. Looks like there might be a few tweaks in the Video Toaster as well.

About GrangerFX
GrangerFX was founded in 2003 by Mark Granger. Mr. Granger co-founded Electric Image, Inc. and has over 20 years of experience in the field of computer animation. At Electric Image, he developed the Camera rendering engine which is widely recognized for its speed, quality and reliability. When Electric Image merged with Play, Inc, Mr. Granger developed Electric Image’s ability to produce video effects for the Trinity. The mission of GrangerFX is to dramatically improve the quality and ease of use of effects in video editing programs. For more information, please visit www.grangerfx.com.

03-09-2005, 11:02 PM
So do you just think NewTek could hire any code monkey off the street and get these"updates" you want? Besides, I just don't want "updates" I want innovation. You have to keep your eye fixed past the next point release unless you plan on learning a new program every six months to a year.

What these guys bring means going beyond just "fixing" it. They are the kind of people that put the NEW in NewTek.

You and I seem to want the same thing then. Whether they use monkeys or 'rockstar' coders to obtain 'innovative updates' makes no difference to me. I don't buy into software for the people behind it, I buy into it for what it offers, and right now I'm finding what I need elsewhere - which is fine with me. I'm not ready to write this software off yet though.

I didn't see Discreet making press releases when they hired Maya programmers to rewrite their IK systems for Max 4 and I didn't care either. I was pretty happy when max became a much better rigging/animation package after that point though.

Like I said, I'll cheer when I see the results.

Kuzey
03-10-2005, 02:32 AM
New blood is always good in my book and I don't think it'll take them a year to make an impact on the product, it's team or even the actual code.

Very cool news....but what roll will they have in the Newtek rockband :D :D

Kuzey

retinajoy
03-10-2005, 02:47 AM
... what other software creators make press releases about this stuff?

A lot of them do and I have read press releases by other major 3d app makers do the same.

This is great news that more innovative staff have joined the Newtek team. Congrats Jay & Mark. This and the frequent update improvements to LW gives most of us confidence in our investment. I am looking forward to LW 9 and hoping that we will also see some super enhancements by 8.5. ;)

mattclary
03-10-2005, 05:14 AM
aren't these both management additions?(

As someone else pointed out, Mark is the coder who wrote the renderer for EI, I see great portent in that.

ufo3d
03-10-2005, 06:17 AM
hope we will see SSS and super fast GI in next update :p

JML
03-10-2005, 06:30 AM
hope we will see real time radiosity ;)

hrgiger
03-10-2005, 07:14 AM
Sounds good to me.

I think it's just a good sign that Newtek is hiring. Not one, but two new people.

wacom
03-10-2005, 09:48 AM
You and I seem to want the same thing then. Whether they use monkeys or 'rockstar' coders to obtain 'innovative updates' makes no difference to me. I don't buy into software for the people behind it, I buy into it for what it offers, and right now I'm finding what I need elsewhere - which is fine with me. I'm not ready to write this software off yet though.

I didn't see Discreet making press releases when they hired Maya programmers to rewrite their IK systems for Max 4 and I didn't care either. I was pretty happy when max became a much better rigging/animation package after that point though.

Like I said, I'll cheer when I see the results.

Look at it this way- the movers and shakers of this little 3D app world live in a very small pool. It makes sense to follow who is doing what. Do you mean to tell me that if you found out Worley was doing new project X for company Y you wouldn't even care more than if some average code monkey made the same announcement? That's like saying A.C. Clark's name carries no wieght in the science and sci-fi communities.

Top level program designers are no diffrent than anyother creative talent- and just like authors, directors, and artists I think it's important to follow those who are innovative and who do good work.

So what if Discreet is too ashamed to admit they had to go buy out a new IK team since theirs sucked so bad or was poorly managed and maned. Besides, Discreet is just a company who is poorly trying to emulate the MicroLimp model. If they can't make it they just try and buy the people who do innovate. Bungie studios anyone? Alias has gone the same way with MD...hmm maybe Discreet will buy that team off too...to bad they don't bring anything new to the table...

"I was pretty happy when max became a much better rigging/animation package after that point though. "

Didn't that teach you to be optimistic about a company getting new talent? So far the few people NewTek has intergrated have been making marked improvments on the program- and fixing a lot of things that have been half-baked since...uh...six?

So give these guys a hand eh? When a person feels like the project is their own, they are more likely to go the extra few steps in the end.

Gwot
03-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Gwot = [email protected]

Sorry dude, we're just going to have to disagree here then. I only follow results. REPEAT: I don't care who the movers and shakers are or where they go, so long as I see direct improvement as a result - hence my wait and see attitude here. Worley rocks and blah blah blah but Fprime has done very little to improve my LW experience since I mostly do modeling, UV, rigging and animation work.

I'll use the Silo team as a great example of what I'm talking about just so you understand me more clearly. These guys are relative nobodys in the 3d app market. But I'll take their software for modeling any day over LW because it offers me workflows and tools that I could only dream of having in Modeler. Tom and John are a shining example of what developers can and should do not just with their software, but with their community as well. But I don't use Silo because I like them as people. I use it because it is simply a great modeling tool. They could build a renderer and animation module too but I'm not going to wait around for that, nor am I necessarily going to adopt them into my toolset just because they are made by Nevercenter.

I'm not the type of guy who has heroes or role models. I don't care how famous you are - it doesn't and has never affected how I behave or interact towards such people when I meet them, regardless of whether they are movie stars, rock stars, CG artists or 1337 H4XX0r coders.

I follow software development VERY closely - For LW, Max, XSI... any number of apps, even ones I don't actually use in my everyday work. I base my software purchases, upgrades etc on educated decisions about each product, not blind faith in a developer. Putting all my hopes and dreams into a future update seems... odd to me, so I just don't go there. I have work to do NOW, and I'll use the best tool for the job in the meantime. Sue me for saying so.

So what if Discreet is too ashamed to admit they had to go buy out a new IK team since theirs sucked so bad or was poorly managed and maned. Besides, Discreet is just a company who is poorly trying to emulate the MicroLimp model. If they can't make it they just try and buy the people who do innovate. Bungie studios anyone? Alias has gone the same way with MD...hmm maybe Discreet will buy that team off too...to bad they don't bring anything new to the table...

Wonderful statements in there. You clearly know what you are talking about when it comes to software, giant evil corporations and their baggage. Screw market analysis and adaptation to change, and screw Newtek for trying to do the same! :rolleyes:

Why do people get so uptight and passionate about this stuff? It's just software. I treat my software no differently than I would a pencil or a paint brush. When it breaks or wears out I get a new one. I don't get upset or wistful, or harken back to the days when it worked, I just move on.

JML
03-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Why do people get so uptight and passionate about this stuff? It's just software. I treat my software no differently than I would a pencil or a paint brush. When it breaks or wears out I get a new one. I don't get upset or wistful, or harken back to the days when it worked, I just move on.

I understand and agree with most of what you said but 1 thing though..

a 3d program is pretty complex, it's not notepad , you can't decide to switch to another software easyly.
it depends of what you do of course,
but when you know advanced stuff about a 3D program,
it takes a lot of effort to learn the same thing once again with another software.
(knowing all the little tricks in the choosen app..)

so that's why I (personal thought) hope newtek/LW will get better and better.
because if it goes down, I would have to take lots of time to be confortable with another software..

Ztreem
03-10-2005, 12:41 PM
a 3d program is pretty complex, it's not notepad , you can't decide to switch to another software easyly.
it depends of what you do of course,
but when you know advanced stuff about a 3D program,
it takes a lot of effort to learn the same thing once again with another software.
(knowing all the little tricks in the choosen app..)

so that's why I (personal thought) hope newtek/LW will get better and better.
because if it goes down, I would have to take lots of time to be confortable with another software..

I agree with you, switch 3D app is not like switching a pen.
Pen's works the same way, 3D apps don't.

coremi
03-10-2005, 01:00 PM
you also have to afford to switch 3D soft like switching pencils.

mattclary
03-10-2005, 01:20 PM
it's not notepad

Ahhhhhh... the good old days. :cool:

http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/5250.html?

theo
03-10-2005, 03:00 PM
I think what needs to be done here is a pure and simple beating about the heads and temples of these two wanna be hacks that Newtek just seems to have dug out of some old can in their attic. I swear these people just cannot do ANYTHING right- RIGHT?!!!

So....there is one slight problem though, if these two man creature coding wanna-be's are being beaten about the head and temples vigorously then isn't this a waste of our valuable energy I mean for goodness sakes they could be taking out the trash and we could be stuffing our faces with fried okra.

Oh crap what the heck happened to my manners. WE WELCOME YOU OH NEW TALENT!! Seriously though good move on Newtek's part and it bodes mucho goodo for the future of our lovely Lightwave.

resbot
03-10-2005, 04:46 PM
I hope that if Jay and Mark actually read this thread they will get the ultimate message: Lightwave fans are applauding the entrance of two talented 3D software makers and are looking forward to their contributions to this program we happen to love. Anyone who would take their time to come onto a forum and see a thread like this, that has so much positivity in it and then just grumble and whine does not get it. Pay no attention to the haters, we got nothing but love for ya. :)

03-10-2005, 07:26 PM
I'm certainly not the one hating in here. Which is more than I can say for some overly emotional types who freak out over a simple opinion expressed over the internet. Keep telling yourself whatever you need to in order to sleep well at night. I've got just as much invested in LW as anyone else here so with all due respect, I'll stick to my opinions which are just as valid as anyone elses. I never once said or implied that adding 2 new staff (monkeys or otherwise) to the NT team was a bad thing.

Stay in school kids. Reading is good for you.

iaef
03-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Hey! great! excellent! brilliant! shiny! glimmering!

Ok! enough for excitement! Just dropped by to say this 2 guys will be a very welcome addition to the yet talentous NT in-house team. :cool:

wacom
03-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Wonderful statements in there. You clearly know what you are talking about when it comes to software, giant evil corporations and their baggage. Screw market analysis and adaptation to change, and screw Newtek for trying to do the same! :rolleyes:

I'm really trying to hold back here...but...

I never said Mircrosoft was an evil company, only that Discreet can't play their game. Market analysis? Check the price of Discreet products and tell me about it. I can name at least two other packages that do far more out of the box for the same price- and they aren't made by NewTek. Guess what- it's easier to get a "job" with them too!

What you might not get is that NewTek has its own market, made up of the people who "...get so uptight and passionate about this stuff? It's just software...". Many of us contribute to making LW what it is. 90% of the time when people come up with something new using LW they post it in these forums and share how it was done with everyone, knowing that others will do the same. No answer is too stupid, nor too complex to have us try and figure it out. You can't buy tech support like that!

Can you honestly say that most users you deal with of other software packages facilitate that kind of knowledge base? Everytime you get stuck with something in production with LW you'll be glad when you come here, post it, and get at least six responses in a day that saved your deadline. That is money well spent.

Not every answer can come from the purchase of an upgrade, a plugin, or a simple training video.

Does LW have problems- hell yes. Will it always- hell yes. Do other pakcages- you guessed it- hell yes. Do they all have the same user base...just try and post your next problem and you'll see, and then you'll understand why people defend this "lame duck" called LW.

PS- I use to use MAX, and even further back I used AutoCad with a puck and 3DS DOS (which I still think was a great program).

03-10-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm going to stop now because I don't want to see the welcome thread derailed any more than it is and nothing is being resolved by continuing this here.

I keep forgetting that having an opinon other than smiles and sunshine for LW isn't welcome here.

It's been fun though. ;)

Looking forward to seeing what Jay and Mark can do for LW in the future.

Hervé
03-10-2005, 11:24 PM
yeaaahhhhh !!!! horrayyyy !!!! cooollll !!

ok, hands up !.... where's 9 ?

:D