PDA

View Full Version : Skelegons, Bones, and IK (oh my)

sketchydave
04-18-2003, 12:53 PM
OK, I ran into a problem today and I *think* I got it fixed. I am working on a simple animation, a character walking. I created the bone structure in the modeler using skelegons and converted them to bones in layout. I was using a null point in the ankle and inverse kinematics to make the legs move.

Now here's the strange thing. Some of the bones responded inverse. Like one knee would bend the correct way and the other knee bent completely opposite. It looked like a bad ski accident. But they are configured exactly the same in Controllers and Limits in the Motion Options Panel.

I was able to correct it by adjusting the limits, but is this supposed to happen? I'm not sure if its a bug, or if I somehow drew some of the skelegons backwards, or if there was a problem converting them to bones.

It *seems* to be working now but if anyone has advice on how to avoid this in the future I would appreciate it.

Hiraghm
04-18-2003, 09:18 PM
In the documentation for ACS4, they suggest that the knees and elbows of the model to be rigged be bent slightly, to give the rigging system an idea of how the bones are supposed to bend. So I figure your problem is related to that one.