PDA

View Full Version : same object different surfaces

matd
03-09-2005, 03:06 AM
I'm modelling a classroom containing about 20 laptops and I want each of the laptops to have a different image on screen. Now I can choose in the surface editor to edit by scene or by object, but if there are multiple copies of an object - e.g. laptop (1), laptop (2), laptop (3) etc - they are treated as one object instead of seperate objects. Is there a way around this, or do I have to make multiple copies of my one laptop object in the finder/win explorer and name them laptop1, laptop2 then bring them in?

toby
03-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Yea they should be separate objects. You could try some trick like distance to camera gradients to change the image but I don't think it would be easy enough to justify it -

matd
03-10-2005, 02:21 AM
thanks anyway...feature request!

bcicio
03-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Here's how I recently accomplished something similar. Model your laptop on Layer 1 and give the laptop's screen poly(s) a different surface name. Call this surface, say, "Screen1" because the laptop is on layer 1. Then copy and paste everything on layer 1 to layer 2, 3, 4, 5...etc -- creating as many layers with laptops as you will need to have different screen images. Then go into each layer and make that particular laptop's screen poly(s) a unique surface name. Screen2, Screen3, Screen4... etc. depending on the layer number. Save the object file and send it Layout. All of the laptops you created will come in on top of each other, but on different layers. Just move them each into position and use the Surface Editor to assign each screen surface it's own unique image.

Hope that helps.