PDA

View Full Version : F Prime

Lowly Designer
03-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Hi guys

I keep hearing about F-Prime and G2 they also look like fantastic plugs, since I don't know much about them, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they work with LW 8.2 and also if they are as fast as worley claims, and do they work on the mac platform - I would assume the answer to the last is yes because they are LW plugs and not system specific.

Forgive my ignorance.

Lowly

toma
03-09-2005, 01:16 AM
go Fprime (G2 is a shader and a pixel filter so Fprime will ignore it)

it's fast (faster on PC but fast anyway)

it's simple

it works (on a mac, be carefull with the hub, object replacement and image replacement, Fprime don't like them)

the only thing I don't like is worley update policy (no update, not a single word since fprime's release a year ago)

thomas

luka
03-09-2005, 01:38 AM
Hey guess what the Worley Japanese site got updated. Instead of saying last updated 2/2/2005 it now says 7/3/2005 :)
Worley Labs Japan (http://www.worley.com/japanese/japanese.html)

Nigel Baker
03-09-2005, 03:28 AM
Hello Lowly,

Yes FPrime is one of those essentials tools, once you use you can not go back.
I have stopped using G2 ever since FPrime since they do not work together.
Which is on my very big wish list. Heres hoping.

Darth Mole
03-09-2005, 07:28 AM
What IS going on with FPrime? A year is a long time for Mr W to spend coding - I guess making it work with the entire render pipeline is no trivial matter. Can't wait to see the next update...

Nigel Baker
03-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I have been waiting since the dawn of time. (it feels)
Every month if not week I still visit the Worley site just to see if there is anything happening or some new updates.

Maybe he decided to take a long holiday with all the readies, after FPrime, for I'm sure there was a lot of copies bought and a very well deserved break long over due.

unc1e meat
03-09-2005, 07:35 AM
Fprime is indeed a very useful add-on but nowhere near absolutely necessary. You can get along just fine without it especially if you're a LW hobbyist or much of your work doesn't involve LW. Just my opinion.

Lowly Designer
03-09-2005, 10:36 AM
I think I'm going to invest in FPrime although it may be a while before I can afford it being unemployed at the moment readies are hard to come by.

I finally got round to checking out the vids on his website and it looks even better than I'd imagined, I am one of those people who likes to see what effect things are having on my work as I do them rather than 15mins later after waiting for LW to chug it's way through the render. Alright I may not be on the fastest machine out there but hey it can be annoying just having to wait for that render to see if that little tweak you did to a surface has caused any change.

Is there a demo version available for the mac? so I can check it out? and when (this is a silly question) does worley plan to release his next version hopefully with full integration with lw?

toby
03-09-2005, 09:34 PM
I got fprime but hardly use it. there's frequently something I'm rendering that it doesn't support, frequent enough that I can't get into the habit - and it doesn't work for tweaking ( unless your final render will be done in fprime as well ), because it's a different renderer, and there will always be differences.

I also like to look at previous test-renders in the image viewer's buffer, and in fprime you can't switch back-and-forth between renders -

$.02

Nigel Baker
03-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Hello Toby,

I to was in the same boat originally. Could not get it together with FPrime and it sat there for the first few months. Then one day, I needed radiosity with Transparency, shadow, and relection. LW was not able to show me any output and two days later I still had end results. So out came FPrime.

I can now have 4 images from 4 different cameras rendered simultaneously. Within a few hours even a half an hour I can see some results.

I now use FPrime for about 70% of my renders & yes I do prefear the LW final output. But as you say they are two different render engines. I also have cut down on using shaders and other plugins. For me personally I do miss G2. I had only gotten into using it when FPrime came out and now I never use it, I find.

0.02c :)