PDA

View Full Version : any good cell shader out there?

Max Wolf
03-08-2005, 03:05 PM
i ahve tried unreal but the edge tracer does not look good it keeps geting jagged lines on smooth strait places

WilliamVaughan
03-08-2005, 03:31 PM
We are having massive sucess with the defualt cel shader in LW "Cel Shader not super cel or besm). The others work good but we found with proper poly flow and basic lighting we could get the look we wanted quick and easy with cel shader.

have a look here at a sneak peek:
www.daveschool.com/spoonman

Celshader
03-08-2005, 04:08 PM
I have tried unReal, but the Edge Tracer does not look good. It keeps geting jagged lines on smooth, straight places.

I use LightWave Edges, which come with their own set of challenges. LightWave Edges trace existing polygon edges on the model. Because Edges hinge on the geometry, celshaded models need perfectly smooth geometry to yield perfectly smooth Edges.

Also, celshaded models do not normally look like their photoreal counterparts. For example, you wouldn't use a photoreal model of a beagle or mouse if you wanted to render a drawing of Snoopy or Mickey Mouse. The photoreal beagle and mouse would have the wrong proportions and design.

If it helps, I have the topology (http://www.celshader.com/gallery/lore/topology01.jpg) of my best celshaded character model online here:
http://www.celshader.com/gallery/lore/

I also have celshader tips and tricks here:
http://www.celshader.com/learning.html

[edited to correct a typo]

WilliamVaughan
03-08-2005, 04:11 PM
We learned alot from Cel Shader (thanx) and the various forum regulars like Shade, and Terrence Walker.....

sire
03-09-2005, 12:43 PM
We are having massive sucess with the defualt cel shader in LW "Cel Shader not super cel or besm). The others work good but we found with proper poly flow and basic lighting we could get the look we wanted quick and easy with cel shader.

Well, that's funny - I don't remember ever seeing this plugin. I just checked, it doesn't seem to be in my LW 8.x installation, neither in my old 7.x installation, and at least my 8.x installation is pretty conventional. Though in the 8.0 manual pdf I found something about a plugin with the file name ah_celshader.p, which seems to be the one. Only it's nowhere on my system. How come? Am I the only one? :confused:

wacom
03-09-2005, 02:11 PM
With a little trial and error you might be able to get some of the lines you want with this:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=33992&highlight=Pencil

This thread covers the general development of the technique, which is ment to achive a sketched line and/or painterly look.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=33682&highlight=Pencil

It could be toned down however to get more variation with lines. Try using gradients with this as well...

Just a thought...might not be what you want though...

Celshader
03-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Well, that's funny - I don't remember ever seeing this plugin. I just checked, it doesn't seem to be in my LW 8.x installation, neither in my old 7.x installation, and at least my 8.x installation is pretty conventional. Though in the 8.0 manual pdf I found something about a plugin with the file name ah_celshader.p, which seems to be the one. Only it's nowhere on my system. How come? Am I the only one? :confused:

It's called the "Super Cel Shader." It's been with LightWave since version 5.5 -- make sure it's loaded into your config file.

Celshader
03-09-2005, 03:29 PM
EDIT -- ARGH! Double post. :eek:

Mercuryrex
03-09-2005, 08:36 PM
It's called the "Super Cel Shader." It's been with LightWave since version 5.5 -- make sure it's loaded into your config file.

Proton said the basic cel shader, not Super Cel Shader.

Celshader
03-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Proton said the basic cel shader, not Super Cel Shader.

No, he said "default cel shader." For me, that's always been the Super Cel Shader. ;) :D

sire
03-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Meanwhile I restored some of my old memories from the ancient days of LW and I vaguely remember something like Super Cel Shader, only more fixed. Seems the old Cel Shader doesn't have any features which Super Cel Shader doesn't have, sounds logical actually, considering the names - I mean Superman also is capable of everything an ordinary man is, and even more! :)

So the old shader which Proton recommends is just a quicker solution because there's nothing to set up. Nothing I need, then, thus whatever happened to my copy of the original Cel Shader... Apperently I don't have to care that terribly.

Mercuryrex
03-11-2005, 09:03 AM
No, he said "default cel shader." For me, that's always been the Super Cel Shader. ;) :D

Yes, he said not Super Cel Shader.

We are having massive sucess with the defualt cel shader in LW "Cel Shader not super cel or besm).

:)

WilliamVaughan
03-11-2005, 09:31 AM

Look in your legacy plugins folder that installs with LW[8]