PDA

View Full Version : Controlling a Propeller..

Hurben
04-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Hi Guys..

I've been racking my brain muscles for awhile now on this.. so I thought I'd throw it to the community.

I need to have complete control over a propeller on an aeroplane.. at first I thought I could just let the velocity of the plane drive the spinning propeller but it was never a smooth motion.

I then decide I need to use a slider to define the spinning speed of the propeller.

Can anyone help me out? I'd be very fuzzy..

Mylenium
04-18-2003, 12:51 PM
What is actually your problem? In which speed range does it rotate? If it rotates very fast you will not be succesful by simply animating rotation - even the motion blur will not save you and it will look crappy.

Mylenium

Hurben
04-18-2003, 01:40 PM
I'd like to.. you know.. "start 'er up"

I need to be able to animate it from no spinning to full flight spinning.. I have already tried to use motion blur and vector blur on the fast spinning propellor, but it doesn't look too tasty.

I was think I could render out an image of the propeller and radial blur it in photoshop and then apply it to a disc...

Has anyone had any experience here?

Mylenium
04-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Ah, I see. Actually you will have to use both the real prop and a disc/ discs with differently blurred images. Dissolving them in and out will solve your problems but depending on how many steps inbetween you need this will be tricky with the timing. Also keep in mind that at certain speeds the prop seems to spin in the opposite direction (this is a perceptional effect caused by slow eye reaction/ shutter speed).

Mylenium

Hurben
04-19-2003, 12:21 PM
I remember there being an animation that came with Lightwave of a blue propeller with vector blur I think. I can't seem to find it anywhere, I wish I could.. I'd like to see that solution now.

Hurben
04-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Here's an example of the motion blur on the propeller gone wrong..
How can I get that smooth blurring effect without using blurred image maps on discs?