PDA

View Full Version : Can't Render Project

Paul Brunson
03-08-2005, 11:58 AM
I've been working on a rather complex edit about 15 minutes long. The Toaster plays it back great no visible problems etc.

BUT, when I go to render the project it won't. After I hit the render button it just sits there forever saying its "preparing files to render".
I've also noticed that the green bar above the play button has not lit up for a while.

I've been through my project clip by clip. Everything appears fine. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm on a dual xeon 2.8 with a gig of ram and VT(3). The project is composed of mostly DV type 2 clips, several layers of Audio, and an overlay across the whole project.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

chribba
03-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Have you installed any video codecs or programs that installs own codecs in the computer? Sometimes there are problems with bad written codecs.

chribba

Paul Brunson
03-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Installed Software:

VT3 Latest Patch
Tmpenc Encoder
Ulead DVD Worskshop
Commotion Pro 4.1
QuickTime 6 Pro
Media Player 9

all on a Win2000 System.

To my knowledge no other codecs have been installed. And I assume that any codecs the above software installs should be "safe".

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Scott Bates
03-08-2005, 05:40 PM
To what format are you trying to render? Where is your VT[3] Cache set? It should be on your video stripe set since that's your fastest drive. Is the drive where the cache is located almost full? Have you tried shutting down at least VT[3], if not the entire system, before trying to render? Might try defragging your stripe set where the source files are located as well as the drive where the audio files are, if not also on the stripe set.

mgrusin
03-08-2005, 10:16 PM
To clarify, does the render window come up (which lets you select the format and filename of the render), or not? In other words, does it fail before or after you get that window?

-MG.

Paul Brunson
03-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Yes, the window does come up I can set render settings etc. It gets stuck when the progress bar comes up. The bar never advances it just sits there and says "preparing files to render".

My VT cache is set to my Video Array. I've tried rebooting and defragging several times.

But I do have some progress to report. I did finally manage to get one render of the project out. What I did was I turned on hidden file viewing under Windows Explorer and deleted all of the "NewTek Info" directories. I'm kind of puzzled about them. It looks like the toaster puts a hidden data folder in every folder that it accesses. Inside are little thumbnails and datas on the files in the directory.

When I opened my project in TED it took forever to load because it went through and regenerated all of those hidden folders and datas. But the green bar turned on and I was able to render. Unfortunately it only works once after you delete the hidden folders. You have to go and delete them again to render. Seeing how my project has many many folders I'm not to keen on digging through them all each time I want to render.

So I guess my new question is why does the Toaster need all those little hidden folders? Is that a feature that can be turned off? Or perhaps are there any little utilities out there that can wipe those directories automatically?

mgrusin
03-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Glad to hear things are working a tiny bit better.

The hidden directories store exactly what you think, thumbnails, pre-rendered audio from compressed formats, etc. (As an example, when you load a new DV clip, VT will chew on it for quite a bit to generate the audio cache in this directory. It loads instantly afterwards). You can normally delete this directory (I'd do it while VT is not running), and VT will rebuild it when any of those assets are used, but I've been warned that batch capture timecode is stored in there as well, so be careful if you use that feature.

I don't know of any utilities to automatically delete this stuff (normally you shouldn't have to), although if you right-click in any VT file bin, you'll see something like "remove missing files" which will clean up any missing links in the hidden directories. (I believe it will start from that directory and work down, so if you want to clean the entire V drive, run that command from the root).

Your problem and solution sounds extremely odd, since AFAIK once those hidden files are generated they aren't changed; in other words, if the render works once, I don't know what would be changing those files or why, especially if you have enough disk and RAM space. If you're willing (once you have your output), I'd try pruning down the VT-Edit project until you can maybe find a single clip that's the culprit; if you can do that, I'm sure the guys at Newtek would like to take a look at that clip/project and see if they can figure out what's going on.

Good luck! -MG.