PDA

View Full Version : ECW file savers. Any that can do 46,000 pixels?

Intuition
03-08-2005, 11:43 AM
I have some large planet images that are mega huge TIFFs.

The photoshop plug in I currently have only does a maximum of 500MB.

The Tiffs are like 1.46GB.

Is there any plugin or program that can convert these maps into ECW's at full size?

Lightwolf
03-09-2005, 06:08 AM
Hi Intuition,
well, yes, full ERMapper can, but it'll cost you US$6000,-

The 500MB limit is a limit to the SDK used by _all_ compression plugins. You either have to shell out for the commercial SDK which is even more expensive, or write an open source tool, which currently can use the full SDK fro compression as well.

Are your TIFFs single TIFFs (i.e. one image)?

It might be possible to quickly write an (open source) tool to convert TIFF to ECW (or JPEG 2000).

What are you using to render those images?

Cheers,
Mike

Intuition
03-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Hey Lightwolf...seriously, you need to be less helpful. Its really causing me to feel like a co-dependant. :D

Ok, There are 6 tiffs in all. They are 26,000ish and when the two (east and west hemisphere) are put together they would make a 40,000ish size map.

Then we end up with 3 maps. Technically I am only using two, the bump and flat color map. I also have a preshaded map as well.

Eventually I will end up with a new map next week that is 16,000x8,000 which is not as large but needs to be ECW'd as well.

I may just use the two hemispheres maps seperately, as opposed to making one huge map, since we don't really need to see one side very much.

But I was wondering if it was possible to just make a huge map and have ECW wrap it up for use in Lightwave.

What was the link to your ECW plug?

I am not sure I have it on this computer. I will be using Lightwave to render the images. I wish I could do F-Prime.... but shaders in F-Prime are probably a year away.

Lightwolf
03-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Hey Lightwolf...seriously, you need to be less helpful. Its really causing me to feel like a co-dependant. :D
Hi Intuition,
Lol ... well, let's say I'm just trying to make it to 2000 posts, if it eases your pain ;)

Ok, There are 6 tiffs in all. They are 26,000ish and when the two (east and west hemisphere) are put together they would make a 40,000ish size map.
Well, if they end up as one huge tiff each, it should be relatively easy to write a small opne source command line tool to compress the tiff images to ecw/jpeg2000.

Then we end up with 3 maps. Technically I am only using two, the bump and flat color map. I also have a preshaded map as well.

Ouch.... :)

But I was wondering if it was possible to just make a huge map and have ECW wrap it up for use in Lightwave.

I'll have a look into it...

What was the link to your ECW plug?

Check my sig or visit www.infinimap.com (Yowza!) :D

Cheers,
Mike

Exception
03-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Hey webmaster, can you set back Lightwolf's post count by say, 200?
It'll be fun, I bet...

WizCraker
03-09-2005, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=Intuition]40,000ish size map.

Eventually I will end up with a new map next week that is 16,000x8,000.../QUOTE]

How are you getting these maps into Lightwave without it crashing?

Unless I'm lost and talking about something different I've tried loading a 21,000xsomething map and Lightwave would just freeze then eventually close itself out with no error message.

I thought it was a ram problem but adding more memory did not do the trick.

Lightwolf
03-10-2005, 01:50 AM
Hey webmaster, can you set back Lightwolf's post count by say, 200?
It'll be fun, I bet...
:eek: - LOL ;)

Lightwolf
03-10-2005, 01:53 AM
How are you getting these maps into Lightwave without it crashing?
Intuition is using infiniMap LE (www.infinimap.com) which allows you to use (almost) unlimited size image maps by only loading the visible parts on demand into memory. I've used it to render images that were a couple of GB as raw RGB data (with a memory footprint of 100-200 MB per frame).

I basically completely circumvent the image handling by LW with infiniMap.

Cheers,
Mike

Intuition
03-10-2005, 09:22 AM
I have loaded 10,000 by 5,000 maps into lightwave but thats about it.

Using ECW makes it simple by removing the needed memory allocation by lightwave. Brilliant idea and really should be the standard texture usage in all 3d packages. This way we can maxx out the poly's and have the image handler take care of the huge texure maps.

Lightwolf
03-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Using ECW makes it simple by removing the needed memory allocation by lightwave. Brilliant idea and really should be the standard texture usage in all 3d packages. This way we can maxx out the poly's and have the image handler take care of the huge texure maps.
The only other package I know that does this out of the box is mental ray (I think finalRender 2 will support paged images as well). mental ray requires a special file format for the textures, finalRender 2 will supposedly work with any file format.

I came up with the idea in late 1999 I think. Funny enough, when I finished coding my first version, I read an article about Episode I where ILM used a similar technique for the pod-racer sequence.

Oh well ;)

Cheers,
Mike