PDA

View Full Version : Creating Flash Content in LW8

dalecampbelljr
03-06-2005, 10:25 PM
I am trying to create some flash content for my new web site in LW8. I have some logo work and some character animation work I would like to use. I am having a problem figuring out what to use and would like some suggestions or help. I have tried the program Swift3D that a friend has been, the swift file was huge....57 mg in size. Is there anything else out there to use with LW8? I haven't heard or seen much discussion on this so I am not sure where else to go. Thanks for any help.

Big Jay
03-07-2005, 02:22 AM
having played with these a bit I can tell you that this requires a bit of planning.

I found that toon shaded or flat shaded characters give the best results. If you are only doing a few frames for an looping kind of animation then I would render in passes bring them into flash and trace bitmap them to really get the file size down.

The last character I was planning to use with this technique I made an unshaded black silohette with only the face with detail to get the best compression.

Now as for tools. There is swift as a plugin and there is vecta 3d which I think was only a stand alone the last time I played with it.

Once you get your swift done you will need to import it into flash and optimize it. I purchased swift3d and it came with optimize a piece of software for doing it. I wasn't that carzy abiout it and thin k spending a little time layering the render will give beter results.

post a still of the scene/object you are trying to render, I could give you better info.

theo
03-07-2005, 06:28 AM
I am not convinced that Swift 3D is a benefit at all out of LW. It is very slow at rendering, highly inaccurate and useful for only simple images as the files are just too large to be of any benefit- unless you are using it for CD or something.

A couple of things you may want to consider is using Wildform Flix for vectoring your rendered clips. Wildform is pretty OK- much better than Swift in my opinion as far as file sizes go. Or you could batch render image sequences with Sillheoutte if you are on a Mac- if you are on a PC the plugin for Illustrator has this ability but it needs to be scripted within Illustrator. Silheoutte is literally phenomenal as far as quality goes.

Big Jay brought up a good point about the cel-shading as this is a really good way to control the final vectorization process to some point.

Flash has OUTSTANDING bitmap tracing but it is useless for large image sequences (unless you have all day and are planning on getting teninitis) as I have yet to be able to figure out how to batch process sequences within Flash. The command line feature is woefully inadequate for anything but the simplest actions.

TJsAnims
03-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Theo,
Can you send a link to examples you have done? How does it hold up with complex lighting and texturing? What was your original file type used? What was your starting and ending resolution? Did you use Flix Exporter? So far I have only seen examples of video and not graphics.

Thanks,

TJ