PDA

View Full Version : Subpatch difficulties

LWnexgen
03-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Alright, here is another "i need professional help" type question. I'll try to explain this as best as I can without a picture. Sometimes when I make an object with a 90 degree angle between two polys, and I turn on subpatch, the patch doesn't cover the angle completely. One poly will have curved edges and there are "holes" in between the edges. Thanks!

Silkrooster
03-06-2005, 08:09 PM
If your seeing "holes" between the edges, I think the first thing to do is to use the merge points tool. Making sure the two polys are sharing an edge. lower case m is the shortcut key.
If you want a sharp edge, you are going to need a vertex near the edge, this may be done using the bandsaw tool, knife, etc. Just make sure the vertex continues on to the next poly if there is one, or it ends to a corner point if there is another poly in line with that vertex. The reason I mention this is if a vertex runs through a poly and stops the next poly that the vertext would have gone through, now will have an additional point, making it an N-Gon. N-Gon's are not allowed in sub patching, or not yet I hope (Fingers crossed). So this can be another source for you to see holes in your mesh.
Hope this helps
Silk