Cman
03-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Just for translation in modeler:

Move Plus
Move Tool
Rove Tool
Translate Plus Tool

If I want constrained to local axis I need Point Normal Move or Normal Move

Just combine them all into one Translate tool, for polys or points, that allows for free translation or constrained to world axis or local axis - my preference with widgets.

also, let the included Rove Tool aspects have Rotational Widgets in Perspective view as well.

Karmacop
03-05-2005, 11:25 PM
I completely agree.

Ztreem
03-06-2005, 02:22 PM
I couldn't agree more!

I think that a lot of tools in modeler could be combined in to fewer but greater tools. Then we could get a cleaner interface with lesser "more" buttons. That's a real workflow enhancement. :D

WhiteBoy
03-06-2005, 07:39 PM
You read my mind.

So many superfluous buttons!

I often find myself staring at the interface saying "Why? Why must these be seperate tools when they could be so easily combined?"

GruvSyco
03-06-2005, 09:43 PM
and for tools that are there to work with a specific mode.. make the menus context sensitive and remove them from the awareness of the user.

private
03-07-2005, 06:24 AM
I agree! Along with the 45 ways to bevel an object and 17 ways to smooth shift something...unification and streamlinezation.

Another pet peeve is that it's very difficult to find what you're looking for when you hit Alt-F9. Not only are some of the tools have a different name, there seems to be little association with the interface and the panels inside the editor. Heck, I know what I'm looking for and it's not always easy.

Why is "l" BRIDGE in the interface button but CONNECT when you have to find it when you go alt-F9? It boggles the mind. It's not the only example in there either.

Karmacop
03-07-2005, 06:31 AM
Something I emailed Deuce about awhile ago was the idea of using lscript or something similar to define settings for a tool.

For example, you'd only have one bevel/smoothshift tool, but you could have two buttons on the interface, the only difference is one would bevel in a group mode and the other would bevel per poly. Same with move/taper etc etc, just different settings for the same tool. Then if you know what you're doing you can remove all the other buttons and just use the single move button.

Caligo
03-08-2005, 10:37 AM
I definitely agree. Having 3 or 4 different tools to do the same thing, or slight variations of the same thing, is complicated and confusing. Especially since they all work differently and each has its own quirks. It would clean up the interface and it cuts out a lot of trying to remember what each tool does, how it wants things to be selected, and then trying to choose one vs. another.

One translate tool that can work on local or global coordinates. Sounds simple enough, and isn't that really all it needs to be?

GruvSyco
03-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Something I emailed Deuce about awhile ago was the idea of using lscript or something similar to define settings for a tool.

For example, you'd only have one bevel/smoothshift tool, but you could have two buttons on the interface, the only difference is one would bevel in a group mode and the other would bevel per poly. Same with move/taper etc etc, just different settings for the same tool. Then if you know what you're doing you can remove all the other buttons and just use the single move button.

I've thought about that one too.. I was thinking something like holding the shift, ctrl or alt key down during extraction.

something that might be kind of cool to get the ball rolling on my idea of context sensitive menus would be to allow a menu file per selection mode. Toggle selection mode automatically switches menus/keys.

Exception
03-09-2005, 01:42 AM
But... is it me or does something like Move plus just not work well?
Often I find myself dragging and clicking, but nothing happens.
Perhaps it doest like multi-layer selections...
Same goes for Supershift, which really stinks as its slow and often messes up, if it does anything at all.
Bridge can falter too at times, and Split more often than not fails to split. Then I am always happy I have a real, hardcoded alternative such as knife, smooth shift, the normal move tool etc.
I agree, but then they should all work flawlessly, which they honestly don't.

Oh and does anyone know how to bring back the Volume selection tool into the space-bar cycle? I like volume selection and want it back in the point-polygon-include-exclude manner when pressing the space bar.

Karmacop
03-09-2005, 02:19 AM
Yep. All of the DI tools were fixes for Lightwave tools that weren't as flexable as they should be. So then a lot of tools doubled up and the DI tools always had troubles with multiple layers etc. I wish they'd fix this up already :\