PDA

View Full Version : A Big Thank-you to the Captain Scarlet Team

Qexit
03-05-2005, 10:56 AM
I just wanted to say a very big thank-you to the team currently working on Gerry Andersen's new CGI version of Captain Scarlet over at Pinewood Studios. Firstly for producing what is shaping up to be a really excellent TV series and secondly for letting me have a look around their place of work yesterday (Friday 5th March). With particular thanks going to my friend Andy Morgan for taking care of me during my visit. It was a real eye-opener to see Lightwave being run on so many computers at once in a large room I found to be surprisingly quiet. Highlight of my visit has to be getting to meet and chat to the one and only Ron Thornton :D

To anyone watching the series, I got a few sneak previews of forth-coming episodes and it really does just keep getting better. There is some pretty amazing work being done in there using our favourite bit of 3D software, Lightwave (with a bit of help from a couple of other apps...but they have their own forums for plaudits :) )

Equally amazing was getting to see some of the original artwork and designs of the various planes, ships, spacecraft and other vehicles and devices appearing in the series. There are some seriously talented people working there.

This was one really neat birthday treat and all I had to do was make one simple 400 mile round trip in dreadful weather to experience it. Oh, and having at least one friend there helped too :p It almost topped talking to Ray Harryhausen on my actual birthday :cool:

colkai
03-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Show-off! :p ;)

No need to ask if you had a good birthday then Kevin? :D

Dodgy
03-05-2005, 02:26 PM
You lucky lucky lucky lucky B***** :)

'e muss fink the sun shines out ov yur bottom!

To utterly misquote life of brian!

Qexit
03-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Show-off! :p ;)

No need to ask if you had a good birthday then Kevin? :D
To be honest Colin, due to some bad news I got the night before this had looked like being one of my worst birthdays ever (I'll explain off-list), so I decided to take steps to change things around and made a couple of phone calls. I'll be honest, I never really thought I would ever get up the courage to ring Mr Harryhausen.

You lucky lucky lucky lucky B***** :) Dodgy, luck had absolutely nothing to do with it :D Full story at the next NW LW User Group meeting ;)

Aegis
03-07-2005, 03:25 AM
Glad you had a good time Kevin - no thanks necessary - thank YOU for taking on that marketing stuff for us - it was an enormous weight off my shoulders :)

Did anyone catch "Rat Trap" over the weekend? What did you all think? :D

colkai
03-07-2005, 04:30 AM
Well,
thanks to this old fa*ts lack of memory, I'm gonna have to pester Kevin for this as I keep forgetting to set the darned VCR :p Roll on the DVD's :D

Barred
03-07-2005, 04:43 AM
Nice one Kevin :)

Aegis, I cought it, I would not miss it for the world :)
I loved the movement of the main protaganist (trying not to spoil it for those who did not), looking at the movement my heart went out to the poor old rigger. The same for the particle effects :)
Out of interest (if you are aloud to say) what is your time/frame limit?
I ask because this the reflection mapping really stands out in parts of this episode, which really locks those particular sceenes down :)

Captain Scarlet has to be my favorite ITV show, I love the blend of the new with out loosing the feeling and integrety of the old, which would have been so easy to do. The only thing that spoil's the gig is out of your hands (unfortunatly), so every week now ITV gets 2 complaints from me.

1) The inserting of CS at the end of the complete and utter rubbish MoM.

2) They keep on cutting the show about especcialy the end credits, which totally demeans those who has put such hard work into the show.

With the above complaints that are out of the CS gang's controle is roll on when CS hits the shelves as on DVD.

Roll on next Saterday.

starbase1
03-07-2005, 05:31 AM
Yep, saw it, loved it.
Mars was brilliantly done, (albeit not very realistic!), and the six legged robot thingy was awesome, just loved the way it moved.

I still think the lip synch is a bit ddgy though...

Nick

Aegis
03-07-2005, 05:49 AM
Barred: Generally we try and keep it under an hour per frame but that said, we do have a pretty kicking render farm (controlled by ButterflyNet for those that are interested) so render times of 2 hours+ per frame are acceptable providing the shot demands it - HyperVoxel effects mostly...

Incidentally, most of Rat Trap's reflections were ray-traced - a few shots used reflection maps but as you say - those environmental reflections really make the spacesuits look good ;)

jevinstudios
03-07-2005, 06:11 AM
Where can Captain Scarlet be seen in the USA, or is it not slated for broadcast here yet? I've been keeping an eye out for it, but without any luck......

Aegis
03-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Hey Jevin!

Sony have the international broadcasting rights to Scarlet but there's no word yet as to when they're going to be showing it in the US - as soon as I know I'll post it here and on CGTalk :)

Barred
03-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the info Aegis, the reason that I asked was on one of the Roughneck's DVD's one of the guys being interviewed said that their render time limit was 10 mins/frame.

At the same time Aegis, I have to say thanks to all of you guys for an argument at home. Who is the DVD set going to be for? Me, the wife or our daughter :)

Qexit
03-08-2005, 03:17 PM
At the same time Aegis, I have to say thanks to all of you guys for an argument at home. Who is the DVD set going to be for? Me, the wife or our daughter :)Even I can answer that one...buy three sets then you have one each :D You would also be helping to finance another season. Bear in mind that for Captain Scarlet to get beyond the 26 episodes currently being produced it needs to get a big audience on TV...and sell lots of merchandise ! So get everyone you know to watch the TV series (it should be possible to keep the amount of MoM you have to watch down to a minimum now they have stabilised the time Scarlet goes out :p ) and then get out and buy, Buy, BUY DVDs, toys and so on when you get the opportunity :)

Barred
03-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Don't tempt me Kevin :)

I agree though there has to be a large enough audience for further episodes. I have been ramming CS down my friends throats up here in sunny Scotland. Even thouse who thing a polygon is a missing parrot think CS is great.

On the side though last Saterday I made my weekly phone call complaingin about where CS has bee shoehorned onto the end of MoM and about the apauling cutting up of CS, when the person next to the opperator I got through too said "Oh god not another one!" So I think there have been a few complaints about MoM and Yay's to CS.

Alex B

Qexit
03-08-2005, 05:59 PM
I might have to try making an 'Angry of Warrington' call to ITV myself :D

On another tack, did anyone else notice the appearance of a brief clip form Captain Scarlet in the advert for the new Nokia 3G phone ? I causght it after the end of Stargate:Atlantis on Sky 1 this evening. Well done to the Marketing team for sneaking that one in...assuming it didn't cost too much of course :D

I do know that ITV are quite pleased with the way the ratings have improved significantly since they started including CS in MoM. Maybe they'll take the hint and give it it's own full timeslot and reap the benefits in advertising revenue :rolleyes:

cgbloke2004
03-12-2005, 12:07 AM
i enjoyed CS, the mars ep was particularly good.
and being a fan of the roughnecks series, i was hoping to see some nice progression on from there.
i too wondered about the amount of reflections on there and the associated render times.
if i'm not mistaken, i'm seeing alot of particle illusion too - is this for reasons of non-gratuitious bloodletting [ie. no blood so the kids can see it?] or for speed?
[i meant pi is good anyway, i just noticed certain hits on characters tended to be particle star effects etc rather than some spurt of something..]

you'd think that there would be more merchandising of CS by now, and not just some tiny sequence in a mobile phone ad. in fact there should have been..

i wouldnt have your hopes up for a 2nd series though.
there appears to be quite a few unhappy parties involved [on both sides]..

rather than shut down the studio shouldnt they make something more of it? surely that would be a better way of utilising the sheer amount of great talent in that one place..