PDA

View Full Version : Batman: New Times 12 Minute CG Film is now online

WilliamVaughan
03-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Batman: New Times 12 Minute CG Film is now online

Well....The day has finally come where we have a net version of BatMan NewTimes! It was great seeing the crowds reaction at the FX show and Megacon and I can't wait to get feedback from all the killer artists in the online community.

Batman: New Times
Running Time: 11:58
Size: 73.8 meg
http://daveschool.com/projects/BATMAN/

To get the full experience of the Film be sure to request a DVD for "FREE" that will include several other films created by the students at the DAVE school. Also check out the latest film in production here:http://daveschool.com/spoonman/

lesterfoster
03-06-2005, 05:35 AM
That is one awesome peace of work. Nice to see a school that can teach how to make a top notch production..

How did you get Adam West and Dyck Van Dyke involved in this production.

Matt
03-06-2005, 06:06 AM
Dick Van Dyke is a veteren LightWave user that's why! I was surprised to hear Adam West's voice though.

But what an awesome (and professionally done) production!

For me though, the real star was this fella ... :D

WilliamVaughan
03-06-2005, 06:14 AM
Thanx guys...I'll pass these comments on to the team. As far as getting Adam West....He "IS" Batman....we needed Batman...enuff said.

Matt
03-06-2005, 06:16 AM
Just watched it again! It is soooooo well done! Have to say though, when the Joker's helicopter is shot down I was expecting the Bat Jet to silouhette against the explosion to create a 'Bat Sign'!

Was fun spotting the LightWave references in there too, I wonder how many were in there that I missed!

Awesome work!

How long did it all take?

WilliamVaughan
03-06-2005, 06:35 AM
The Dave School is a 1 year program...the last three months the class makes a film....Batman : New Times was my last class and Spoonman is my current class.

Every project is different so we went from toy batman style, to anime, and next is a big suprise I cant wait to start workin gon :)

WilliamVaughan
03-06-2005, 07:07 AM
Fun Slide Show (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/Slideshow_2004.mov)

Thought you guys would like ot see some cool behind the scenes pix :)

lesterfoster
03-06-2005, 09:18 AM
It looks like the Dave school is made up of a bunch of special friends. It looks like a good group of people to hang out with every day for a hole year.

Can you tell us all more about the music that you used?

And more about what it is like being a student and/or a teacher at the Daves School.

Valfaroth
03-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Being a student under William is the worst experience I could imagine. He's a dictator and a meticulously picky person.....and that's what we love about him.

Ok, I'll get serious. This past year has been the best experience of my life. Until this past year I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I was in a job that I really didn't enjoy all that much, I didn't have the drive to better my life because I didn't know what I wanted my life to be.

I don't remember how I heard about the DAVE school but after the first tour I started to know what I wanted. I started school in January and I was afraid I wouldn't make it. Not because I was afraid I wouldn't be good enough but because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to keep the drive I needed to drive an hour to school and an hour home every day and continue working at Blockbuster.

Halfway through the year I realized that I really enjoyed what I was doing and that all the driving and extra work was absolutely worth it. The first half of the year is mostly like a school environment where you learn the buttons to push and different basic techniques to get things done. The last half of the School year is where you start to use those skills to make and animate characters and finally work on the Final project. All the instructors and a few people from the industry that have visited have said the setup of the final Quarter is exactly like a studio environment. It really felt like we were working as part of team to get a job done. Then we hit the longer and longer days and the later and later nights. The funny thing was, as hard as we were working, I found that I still enjoyed what we were doing.

Working with William was the best part. He's the boss that knows what he wants and is not afraid to tell you. Once you realize that he does it to not only prepare you for the industry but also to help you to improve your skills, you realize how lucky you are to be working for him.

Ok, ok....the short version....The DAVE school is a lot of hard work (as any school should be), but if you enjoy what you do, it's a piece of cake. 8)

Sean Fitzsimmons

PS - The music is Tenacious D - The Greatest Band in the World (those were the mildest songs I could find 8)

WilliamVaughan
03-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Shouldnt you be working Sean.....get off the forums and get back in your cell :P

I'm quite new at the Dave School (Instructor) but you can just tell that the students have the right idea ....work as a team and you can make great things happen!

I love the fact that at the DAVE school the students get a real life project and are responsiblefor all aspects except Story, Story Boards, and Sound. Kinda like a real studio :)

I'm very impressed with the skill and attitude the students come on the project with and they leave with even more. Many of them will go on to do great things!

Stay tuned for teh next film "SpoonMan".....and after that .....well ....you'll see :)

Avebeno
03-11-2005, 12:41 PM
That was fun!
I loved all of the stylized advertisements on the building in the background!