PDA

View Full Version : Firewire Question

bbeanan
04-18-2003, 09:41 AM
So in VT3 it sounds like it can handle an "unlimited" number of firewire inputs....

But what is reality? I would assume you can only really have 24 firewire inputs because you would run out of swticher channels to place them.

A long time ago when USB was first announced I think they did a test and got like 800+ devices hooked up to one system making it the mose USB items ever hooked up to one system and every item worked.

Not that I am planning a 40 camera firewire camera shoot but to me the word "unlimited" can not be real

ScorpioProd
04-18-2003, 01:21 PM
No, saying that "VT3 supports unlimited firewire switching is correct", simply because VT3 is NOTHING to do with the limiting factor at all.

Your host system is the limitation as to how many firewire inputs you are supporting. The maximum number I've ever seen on one PCI card is 3.

All the Toaster is doing is switching between TWO firewire inputs, that's all, end of story. But just like the SX-8 BOB for analog, feel free to choose ANY TWO inputs at one time.

Kurt_Henning
04-18-2003, 02:22 PM
I had this same question.

Learn from Andrew Cross (dr. Drew) the engineer himself at www.toastersupport.com

Look for the interviews section.

thank Faraz Ahmed for taking the time to shoot it, create it and distribute it.

that is one amazing kid.

Be nice to him, he will likely be the president of newtek in 2009, when he finally turns 18.....................

just an observation

sounds like switching DV should be cake. But don't listen to me, check out the interview

Oh, and Andrew chronically say Toaster 3 instead of Vt3.

things can happen fast, eh?

bbeanan
04-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Your computer may only have 3 inputs but you can get firewire hubs to increase the outputs to ?????? and from the interview I watched it sounds like it is only decoding 2 cameras at a time max, so I would think that you could have say 100 firewire cameras hooked up a swtich them (granted like I said before you only have a 24 input switcher, that being the limiting factor)

Paul Lara
04-19-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by ScorpioProd
The maximum number [of firewire ports] I've ever seen on one PCI card is 3.

Well, then, look a little CLOSER (http://www.siig.com/products/1394/features/1394_6PortPCI.html) Eugene.

The 3-port flavor is most common in consumer electronics stores, but 5 and 6-port cards are indeed available.

ScorpioProd
04-19-2003, 02:38 PM
That's cool, but again, my point was more that the limit is really nothing to do with the Toaster itself.

And personally, even though T[3] will support switching via firewire, for a number of reasons, mainly latency, I would still recommend using a SX-8 BOB analog method if someone is doing a lot of switching or in an environment where latency matters.

Paul Lara
04-19-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by ScorpioProd
I would still recommend using a SX-8 BOB analog method if someone is doing a lot of switching or in an environment where latency matters.

I concur.