PDA

View Full Version : Noob Modeler Issues

barnabythebear
03-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Hiya,

I have always modeled in other apps, as I find LW Modeler a struggle. I am determined to learm LW Modeler but I always seem to run into issues. Would someone be kind enough to help with the following:

1. Some tools seem to create more geometry than they should. For example extender seems to create extra, larger polys, covering a few smaller ones. I think in some situations I get a long 2point poly as well as the ones I would expect between the polys I select. The unify polys tool does not get rid of them. Also, would I be correct in thinking that this situation would stop Rounder working?

2. I can't loft/extrude a profile along linear paths (with turns), only curves.

3. Can anyone recommend a good modeling book. I'm interested in architecture but most books/tuts seem to cover subD's and organic stuff?

Thanks a lot

nige.

prospector
03-03-2005, 05:38 PM
check your points
You may have 'extra ones' and extender is turning them into polys.

I have never had problems with that plug nor have read about anyone else having any.

highlite the offending section and see in panel how many are really there as opposed to how many you see.

Also in the stats panel, highlite the 0 point points and hit delete.

Silkrooster
03-03-2005, 06:10 PM
You did not really mention what version of lightwave your using. I am assuming your using ver 8 as you mentioned rounder, unless you purchased rounder, which you can correct me later.
Use extender if you are selecting points and use extender plus if your selecting polys. If you think the polys are doubling, an example would be to select a poly, copy, paste and unselect the poly. In this case when you select the poly you could endup selecting both polys.
This is where the unify comes in. First use the merge points command or lower case m. then select the unify command and now you will be left with only one poly.
Lofting in Lightwave is the skin tool, where you can select more than one object and apply an outer skin to the whole thing.
Extruding an object does allow you to extrude at an angle, this is ok when you want to see the angle, but when you want a nice smooth curve like a hose, etc. Then you can use a tool like rail extrude, this take a single poly and extrudes it along a rail. Giving you nice smooth bends.
For reference materials check out http://www.silkrooster.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19
I also have an intro video on building a birdhouse. This tutorial is one of my first and clearly shows it, but it should give you some ideas. You can find that at http://www.silkrooster.com/tutorials.htm
Hope this helps.

hrgiger
03-03-2005, 06:33 PM
As far as extender goes, I believe what is happening is it creates a backside polygon which you have to manually delete once you extend. If you are using Lightwave 8 , then just use extender plus. It does not create a backside polygon.

barnabythebear
03-04-2005, 06:06 AM
Hiya, thanks for the tips!

Does anyone know if there is a reason modeler acts like this? Is it a feature or an anoyance?

try this:

1. make a plane with the box tool and subdivide it a few times on both axis with the arrow keys

2. select the polys along one edge

3. use extender

4. move the new points down to create a right angle.

When i do this and hit tab, i get a weird edge. In the point info you can see that there are a range of points, but i don't understand why they are created?

nige.

prospector
03-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Hmm Photoshop won't do screen grab

well the points listed in panel are telling you how many polys are intersecting at that point.
so if you highlite the >4 one (the + sign) you'll see that there are usually 5 polys associated (I've built models where this was up to 7) with the point.

So if you ever see the 0 polygons containing something, they are usually just points floating in the air somewhere and have no polys connecting them, and can be deleted (UNLESS you specifically put them there (as for the points to lights plugin)).

But I did that box thing and all was as it should be here.

hrgiger
03-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Well, if you're using extender, you should be selecting points, not polys.

Silkrooster
03-04-2005, 11:21 PM
Well I tried the experiment, and to my surprise I ended up with the same problem. I took a plane used extender, moved the points outs, then selected the bottom points and used extender again and move the points down.
When I hit the tab key I did get a bunch of weird vertexes on the object.
From what I can see, is first extender does create backside polys, so they needed to be unified. The second problem was 2 point polys were created, once they were deleted, sub patching worked.
Hmmm. Tried it again, this time it only created one additional poly on top of the others, once that was deleted it sub patched like it should. Now I am wondering, is there a bug and extender is creating extra geometry, or is it me. Go figure :rolleyes:
Silk

hrgiger
03-04-2005, 11:27 PM
I have to say that I think it is you. Extender has always worked like it should for me and I've been using it for the last two versions of Lightwave and that's going on 4 years now. Regular extender always creates a backside polygon when you select and extend three points or more and it needs to be deleted before subpatching. Are you selecting the points in order across the row? Because you need to. That's why Extender plus is, well, Extender plus. You don't need to select the points in any order and no backside poly is created.

Silkrooster
03-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, like I said I was using extender not extender plus to select the points. Yes, I select them in order, perhaps it may be reverse order? Top point to bottom point, extend, move, select the bottom points which there was only two to select. Perhaps It was because I selected the bottom points from the backside from left to right. It should not matter at this point because both sides have a normal.
Anyways this last time I tried it, I left the backside normals there and it sub patched fine. You are right though, having normals on some of the backs and not the rest could lead to trouble. Which was why I removed them in the first example. In the first example I did a copy, paste and flip, merge points to make all polys the same, which was when I noticed the 2 point polys. Thats, why I unified the object and removed the 2 point polys. So far they have been simple fixes, its just I have never noticed this before.
Silk